Question re Californian buying Raptors from out-of-state dealers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
believe it's the same for south dakota. planning on titling/registering it in south dakota with my dad's address. according to dmv website......taxes are calculated on price of truck minus the trade in. 70k raptor with 60k trade in.......for sales price of 10k??? YES PLEASE! not to mention $100 to register the truck.

i recently paid commifornia $934 to renew registration on my 2017 f250 platinum.

yep time to get out of commiefornia. Gas is a dollar a gallon less in AZ also.

Riksk

Reaction score
For getting the weight certificate....

Do you just get that from one of the Pilot Truck Stations on the side of the highway? I know of one that says they have a CAT scale. Does that provide the correct certificate I need for DMV?

Thanks!

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For getting the weight certificate....

Do you just get that from one of the Pilot Truck Stations on the side of the highway? I know of one that says they have a CAT scale. Does that provide the correct certificate I need for DMV?

Thanks!

One of my best friends is a CHP and he provided me with a weigh station that would work. Not sure where you are, but call your local DMV or CHP and ask - they should be able to provide assistance. You'd think any weigh station would work though!!

Asinine

Reaction score
One of my best friends is a CHP and he provided me with a weigh station that would work. Not sure where you are, but call your local DMV or CHP and ask - they should be able to provide assistance. You'd think any weigh station would work though!!

My local DMV referred me to a logging company with a certified scale, charged me $15. Any certified weigh station will suffice.

GutweinMCP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone we have sold to with a CA address has found another address to register at out of state to avoid it.

Riksk

Reaction score
FYI, the CAT scale at the truck stop worked fine. Just finished up at DMV. Was mostly painless (other than the CA sales tax). Had my weight cert, had my smog, got the VIN check done at the same time this morning.

EZ.

Saved a grip of $$$ going out of state, very happy with the whole transaction.

Aiello145

Reaction score
Hi there as a ford dealer out side of california I have done deals with people from california I have not ever run into an emissions issue ( i have with a 6.7 But not with a raptor) if you have someone telling you a raptor doesnt qualify for ca emissions I would question that( I have not heard of that)

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, the CAT scale at the truck stop worked fine. Just finished up at DMV. Was mostly painless (other than the CA sales tax). Had my weight cert, had my smog, got the VIN check done at the same time this morning.

EZ.

Saved a grip of $$$ going out of state, very happy with the whole transaction.

Nice same thing here, get the docs you need in advance (weight & smog cert they also asked me for the MSO which my dealer had given me) and it's fairly painless (until you have to write a $6K check to register ;))

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there as a ford dealer out side of california I have done deals with people from california I have not ever run into an emissions issue ( i have with a 6.7 But not with a raptor) if you have someone telling you a raptor doesnt qualify for ca emissions I would question that( I have not heard of that)

Good point, they are all 50 State emissions compliant these days and it's really stupid that CA makes you get a smog and weigh the vehicle. Most states have now adopted the CA emissions standards so manufacturer's aren't into making "multi state" emissions packages anymore...

As a matter of fact I was pricing out a 2019 Bullitt the other day and noticed the Window sticker now states "50 STATE EMISSIONS - N/C" rather than the previous "CA Emissions Pkg - N/C"...

Aiello145

Reaction score
Good point, they are all 50 State emissions compliant these days and it's really stupid that CA makes you get a smog and weigh the vehicle. Most states have now adopted the CA emissions standards so manufacturer's aren't into making "multi state" emissions packages anymore...

As a matter of fact I was pricing out a 2019 Bullitt the other day and noticed the Window sticker now states "50 STATE EMISSIONS - N/C" rather than the previous "CA Emissions Pkg - N/C"...

That is true and it streches to more than the raptors now adays