Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Prospective Raptor Owners
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Prospective Raptor Owners

Question re Californian buying Raptors from out-of-state dealers

This is a discussion on Question re Californian buying Raptors from out-of-state dealers within the Prospective Raptor Owners forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
As many of you will know..., most if not all dealers on the west coast are charging a markup for ...

User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Question re Californian buying Raptors from out-of-state dealers
As many of you will know..., most if not all dealers on the west coast are charging a markup for the Raptor. I saw a few dealers on the east coast selling at MSRP.

But not that many dealers outside of California have trucks selected with CA Emissions option.

Question #1, if the vehicle is to be registered in CA, I would assume that it needs to be optioned with the CA emissions, correct?

Question #2, if it needs to have CA Emission option, why would most dealers out side of CA not order it with the option? My understanding is that the vehicle is exactly the same with or without the emission options... So why would a dealer not want it? It seems to limit themselves on potential market share to CA buyers?

Appreciate anyone who can shed some light on this.

rayw1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Originally Posted by rayw1128 View Post
As many of you will know..., most if not all dealers on the west coast are charging a markup for the Raptor. I saw a few dealers on the east coast selling at MSRP.

But not that many dealers outside of California have trucks selected with CA Emissions option.

Question #1, if the vehicle is to be registered in CA, I would assume that it needs to be optioned with the CA emissions, correct?

Question #2, if it needs to have CA Emission option, why would most dealers out side of CA not order it with the option? My understanding is that the vehicle is exactly the same with or without the emission options... So why would a dealer not want it? It seems to limit themselves on potential market share to CA buyers?

Search is your friend: California emissions

2012 White Supercrew
torrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

tons of posts on this topic.

Most cars are CA emissions. The sticker under the hood will say so
Clockton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Torrin and Clockton. Read thru the pages and it appears that ALL 2017+ Raptors (even those without the CA Emission option) can be registered in CA?

Then what is the point of having CA Emission as a option?
rayw1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thank you Torrin and Clockton. Read thru the pages and it appears that ALL 2017+ Raptors (even those without the CA Emission option) can be registered in CA?

Then what is the point of having CA Emission as a option?
Hey Ray, having recently ordered and out of state 2018 Raptor, (and doing the emissions research), they are all 50 state emissions compliant. Being anal, I even had my out of state dealer take under hood pics of the emissions stickers on several new 2018 Fords he has in stock...sure enough the all are CA Emissions complaint. You will have to get it weighed and smogged before DMV will allow CA registration. Also, if there is any sales tax diff you'll be required to pay that difference at the DMV. My out of state dealer is charging me sales tax at the CA rate so there won't be a diff. Good job not <laying down> for these greedy dealers here in CA. My LFD just got another 2018 and have it marked up $20K over MSRP...I stopped to look at it (as it's Magnetic like mine) and the sales guy was even embarrassed by the price. Wouldn't look me in the eye and his only comment was believe it or not someone will buy it...
IU89 likes this.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

hotlap hit it on the head, try to make a dmv appointment if you can, i had to wait 5 hours to get the car inspected and pay the difference in tax and also the registration. overall it was painless minus the wait.

also if you're a aaa member and the car is paid off, some members reported that they could also register it for them, but some members said their aaa office wouldn't, so you might want to call them first if you have them as insurance.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

ALWAYS carry, never tell

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

There is another option. Call Two Men and a Truck - MOVE! Let the Dibberal Libbrocrates have the state and make Pelosi their hero.. LOL
Good Luck on your search! Pics when ya get it

Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Call me! I have sold several from TN dealer to LA and through out CA without the Cali EMI. I have your answers and I have trucks at MSRP.

JB
615-708-5425
Raptor4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by adeerchaser View Post
There is another option. Call Two Men and a Truck - MOVE! Let the Dibberal Libbrocrates have the state and make Pelosi their hero.. LOL
Good Luck on your search! Pics when ya get it

This is my plan. Az taxes are much less plus if you have a trade-in they deduct that from the amount taxes you pay on.
adeerchaser likes this.
saym14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by saym14 View Post

This is my plan. Az taxes are much less plus if you have a trade-in they deduct that from the amount taxes you pay on.
believe it's the same for south dakota. planning on titling/registering it in south dakota with my dad's address. according to dmv website......taxes are calculated on price of truck minus the trade in. 70k raptor with 60k trade in.......for sales price of 10k??? YES PLEASE! not to mention $100 to register the truck.

i recently paid commifornia $934 to renew registration on my 2017 f250 platinum.
FmaxTurboSi is offline   Reply With Quote