Placing Order - Questions to Ask Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a 2012 Raptor next week. The best deal I could find locally was $1000 over invoice, so I'm doing it!

Before I write the check for the deposit, does anyone have any thoughts on what questions I should ask the dealership? Should I get some confirmation of their allocations, priority, etc.? Will they be able to tell me any of that before they actually initiate the order?

Thanks in advance!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a 2012 Raptor next week. The best deal I could find locally was $1000 over invoice, so I'm doing it!

Before I write the check for the deposit, does anyone have any thoughts on what questions I should ask the dealership? Should I get some confirmation of their allocations, priority, etc.? Will they be able to tell me any of that before they actually initiate the order?

Thanks in advance!

There's a dealer in New Orleans that'll do $500 over invoice.

I would ask when they expect your truck to arrive, but I think all they can really do is guesstimate based on past experience. It seems to be a crap shoot from there. Good luck! Mine was supposedly built yesterday - ordered on October 20th.

AndrewTodd548

Reaction score
It seems like the sales professional you’re working with hasn't answered all the questions you need for him to for you to feel comfortable with placing the order with him. I work for a great upfront dealership in Athens, Georgia. I would be more than happy to work with you on your purchase and I know I can do better than $1,000 dollars over invoice on an ordered unit. Would you be willing to give me the opportunity to earn your business? You can email at [email protected] or call me 706-354-1130. My Name is Andrew Todd and it would be my honor to earn your business. You can also read my reviews at http://www.dealerrater.com/sales/Andrew-Todd-review-70589/

Last edited:

beefcake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We typically don't take deposits unless we are ordering something. It's rare to have a guaranteed date, unless we get a call telling us we have special allocation and we need to order now.

Is the dealer pretty close to you? $1000 over isn't a bad price, not to say you couldn't hunt around for more, but time, effort, distance will all play a part.

Beef

OP
OP
FarFromStock

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's a dealer in New Orleans that'll do $500 over invoice.

I would ask when they expect your truck to arrive, but I think all they can really do is guesstimate based on past experience. It seems to be a crap shoot from there. Good luck! Mine was supposedly built yesterday - ordered on October 20th.

I recognize that the dealer can't control when the delivery will occur. I'm realizing that all of us are at the mercy of the factory and its supply chain. What I was really interested in is how allocations and priorities are assigned? Does the dealership have any control or do I/they just place the order and hope for the best?

BTW - Congrats on your build!

It seems like the sales professional you’re working with hasn't answered all the questions you need for him to for you to feel comfortable with placing the order with him. I work for a great upfront dealership in Athens, Georgia. I would be more than happy to work with you on your purchase and I know I can do better than $1,000 dollars over invoice on an ordered unit. Would you be willing to give me the opportunity to earn your business? You can email at [email protected] or call me 706-354-1130. My Name is Andrew Todd and it would be my honor to earn your business. You can also read my reviews at Andrew Todd - Dealership Ratings

Thanks for the offer Andrew, but I'm trying to stay local to the central Florida area because, in addition to the purchase, I have a trade that is part of the equation. They've given me an initial trade estimate based on book value and, unless something changes drastically with my trade condition (mileage, accident, etc.), the offer will be consistent with book values published at the time of delivery/trade. They've made a fair offer for my trade and with the sales tax offset, it's right around what they are selling for in my area. It doesn't make sense for me to go through all the work of selling private-party.

We typically don't take deposits unless we are ordering something. It's rare to have a guaranteed date, unless we get a call telling us we have special allocation and we need to order now.

Is the dealer pretty close to you? $1000 over isn't a bad price, not to say you couldn't hunt around for more, but time, effort, distance will all play a part.

Beef

The dealer I'm working with honored x-plan on my 2012 GT500 that I bought from them in November, so I feel I owe them some loyalty. No other local dealer would even consider x-plan pricing on the GT500's.

The deposit is fully refundable (will be documented in the contract) and I can walk away if anything changes (trade delta, production delays, etc.).

Again, my primary question was relating to the allocation and priority assignment.

knine

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about what to ask the dealer, just know what you want when you go in. I stopped by a dealer last night I've never been to. Asked about their F150 line and a brochure. Inquired about the "Raptor". Salesman said SVT vehicles are hard to get and I'd be happier with a regular F150 that they have on the lot.

beefcake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know we as a dealer always assign top priority to ordered units. i would believe most dealerships work the same way. you want your ordered units to come before your stock units

OP
OP
FarFromStock

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about what to ask the dealer, just know what you want when you go in. I stopped by a dealer last night I've never been to. Asked about their F150 line and a brochure. Inquired about the "Raptor". Salesman said SVT vehicles are hard to get and I'd be happier with a regular F150 that they have on the lot.

I've already sent my option list to the salesman. He took care of us with our GT500 (off the lot), so I hope the ordering process goes just as smoothly.

Here is what we want:

SuperCrew cab (517A)
Blue Flame paint
Luxury package (55L)
Blue accent interior (4B)
Front/rear camera (76F)
Navigation system (58N)
Spray-in bed liner (96W)
Bed extender (63E)
Tailgate step (63T)

knine

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've already sent my option list to the salesman. He took care of us with our GT500 (off the lot), so I hope the ordering process goes just as smoothly.

Here is what we want:

SuperCrew cab (517A)
Blue Flame paint
Luxury package (55L)
Blue accent interior (4B)
Front/rear camera (76F)
Navigation system (58N)
Spray-in bed liner (96W)
Bed extender (63E)
Tailgate step (63T)

....so, everything except graphics. :peace:

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray-In Bed Liner ???

:think: I did not think that was available for the SVT Raptor
and would have to be done after the truck arrived at Dealer
and then be sent out for the spray-in liner.
I know it is available for Ford's other trucks . . but, SVT . :think: ??