Newbie to Raptor, but an old SVT Junkie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've own an SVT vehicle; 93 Cobra "R", 95 Cobra "R", 94 Cobra, 96 Cobra, 97 Cobra, 03 Cobra, 95 Lightning, and 01 Lightning. After selling my last SVT vehicle, I ventured to the dark side and went with a couple of ACR Vipers. I currently have a Jeep Wrangler TJ "Mad Max" edition, F150 XLT 4x4, Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, and a Harley Davidson Road King Custom. I'm at the point of retiring my XLT to a farm truck and buying a new truck. Which brings me here.

I live in Nashville TN and have been talking to a couple of dealerships in the area. I was originally in the market for a SCREW FX4 Ecoboost, but considering the little difference in MSRP's of the FX4 and Raptor, it's really a no brainer to go Raptor. Granted, you might miss out on the FX4's rebates on the front end, but as soon as you drive off the lot in the FX4, the instant depreciation makes it financially foolish (no insult to the FX4, it's a beautiful truck and could be argued a more "practical" vehicle, but resale value speaks the truth in favor of the Raptor). Plus, every FX4 on the lot, secretly wishes it had been a Raptor.

So, I've decided that the Raptor SCAB in basic trim (800A and Raptor Plus packages) is going to fit my needs and wants the best. I'm single and no kids, so the SCREW would be a waste of space for me...unless of course I could pack the 4-door cab full of ******* waitresses and baja my way home in a straight line. Anyway, my local dealers only have the SCREWs on their lots, so they'll have to order my SCAB. I'm told it could take a few months for it to arrive. That being the case, it'll be close to the middle of the model year, and the 2014 model would be right around the corner - presuming there is no redesign and a 2014 Raptor is built.

Does anyone have any insider info on the 2014 model? And historically speaking, when in the past has Ford/SVT made information available for the next model year Raptor?

Thanks everyone in advance for the replies, and I look forward to one day fighting off the Zombie Apocalypse with you guys in our Raptors. :killer:

Last edited:

JoyJoy

Uber
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Welcome!!! A lot of good people and info on this site. Enjoy.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
welcome to the site! new model information is usually released toward beginning of summer. order banks have opened up between August + November (don't quote me on that). the Raptor is definitely for you given your vehicle credentials.

OP
OP
Mad Max

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank everyone. I've been trolling this site a couple of weeks getting pros and cons of the Raptor...although very few complaints besides the SCAB v/s SCREW opinions! I knew the Raptor existed, but didn't really know a lot about it until a couple of weeks ago. I had basically expected it to be a 4x4 Lightning with a fender kit. I was wrong. SVT has come a LONG way from my 2001 Lightning. Right now I'm living vicariously thru utube, watching Raptor test drives and reviews. I am quite impressed that the automotive world, along with many owners of competitive vehicles, have given the Raptor such praise and respect. Not many haters out there, just the jealous ones, and that's saying a great deal for Ford. Sounds like they did everything right with the Raptor.

Last edited:

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a 2013 SCAB on order and can't wait. I looked at a loaded FX4 for while myself but after seeing and hearing enough about the "regular" off-road capability of the Raptor I knew what I had to choose. We all know about the Raptor's legendary high speed desert capability. I want to use it for both purposes and a little cruising around town for good measure LOL! Why pay the same or more for a loaded FX4 when you can get a Raptor? That's what I said to myself at the end.