new raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorking

Reaction score
Hello raptor professionals,
I am new to the site.
I'm about to buy a 2014 super crew special edition. I test drove it and the ride seemed really rough. Is this normal? I thought raptors were smooth going over normal highways and such.
By the way, It has 14k miles and everything looks good about it or So I believe. I am buying from a private seller.
Thank guys for your input.

OP
OP
R

raptorking

Reaction score
Yes, We did drive it on a back country road up by Dallas, Tx. It was ****** but I still felt it rather shaky as we cruised down. It is a great looking truck and does look king of the road!!
And Tire pressure didn't mark low on dashboard gauges. Raptors have this feature, right?
It is bone stock and doesn't know of any mods he says. Engine and transmission sounded and shifted great on the test drive. Everything worked ok such as windows, moon roof, heated, cooled seats.
How can I go about inspecting it thoroughly(especially the body and frame)? I don't want a lemon.
Thanks guys,
I'll try to post a picture up.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the mayhem!!! I would suggest asking the seller to let you take it to a Ford dealer and have a full inspection done. Might cost you a few bucks, but at least you'll know if there are any gremlins lurking.....

Good luck!!!

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with @2014RubyRed. if they are an SVT dealership even the better since some regular Ford dealerships (at least up here) have no idea what to do with a Raptor. If it cost a few bucks to be inspected, it is worth it to save yourself some headaches.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a shot at answering your question, even though I'm just a novice compared to others on FRF.
I believe the ride may be based on what you previously had before. In my case, I went from a Honda Civic Hybrid to a Raptor, (just a minor change in gas mileage, 51 to 15 mpg). The Honda was smooth on the highway, but if I hit a pothole, the car would "bang" so hard, I often thought I broke something. That same pothole for the Raptor would hardly be noticed. So it's really part of the design of the suspension.

Also, I have a coworker who has an F150 Lightning w/ ecoboost and we were comparing the two. His Lightning was designed for comfort and has a very smooth ride. On base, we both drive the same road, and there is a section that is rough payment. I can feel this in my Raptor, but not in his Lightning. Therefore, I believe what you are feeling is by design. Would I trade my Raptor for a Lightning, absolutely not. BTW, he only gets 15mpg on his ecoboost, so I am very happy with my 6.2.

I think you have an excellent buying opportunity there. I've seen a few low mileage Raptors for sale (when I bought mine). Some people just don't like its features which are designed for a specific target market. You just need to ask yourself if you will treasure your Raptor like I do. I just know this will be the last vehicle I own, and perhaps 20 years from now, when I can't drive anymore, I could see my well maintained 2014 SE being auctioned at Mecums. A Lightning probably not.

BTW, I agree with the idea of a full inspection. I did see a used one for sale at a VW dealership that had been trashed by it's former owner. However, I've also seen a brand new Ruby Red SE for sale on EBay if you prefer new.

Last edited:

BAJA1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was the same way. You have to air down to about 39-40psi for street and this truck will soak it all up. Lower psi (32-35) for off road of course.