Be my voice of reason please. Can I really afford the Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dd07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole discussion is ridiculous. Go to any website with car payment calculator. Punch in the sticker plus $2.5k markup on average. You will know your monthly payments.
You already know your expenses down to a dollar.
So what are you asking?
Will you be able to aford a family trip to Alps for skiing? Will you be able to go to Berlin to puff and pay a Stormy Weather 40 euros for pleasure?
You know all the numbers. It aint colledge algebra. It all comes down to what you’re able to give up. Or not.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run! Run away while you still can!

Owning a Raptor creates addictive behaviors such as the urge to constantly upgrade or modify every aspect of your truck; a.k.a. me-too-itis

Not to mention the strain on your wallet and whopping personal property tax bill if you live in Virginia, haha!

You only live once!

OP
OP
T

timjitsu

Reaction score
Lol What? Truck sticker was $65, so it depreciated $20k in 3 years and 35k miles.

How will you have $10k in equity, just from the down payment?

I'm buying the truck out of state for MSRP. The area I live in there isn't a single dealership marking them up less than 20k. Some are marking them up 25-30k markup. A dealer by my house had 4 raptors with 802 packages on the lot for $105,000 after markup. So for the area I live in the market value of the truck is about 10k more than what I'm buying it for.

cain072567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stripped down gen 2 should be in 54-58 range depending on options. Deponds what u want, i personally would buy a house first then truck. Work hard and get what u want. No one is promised tomorrow, but we must plan for it! But i dont ever want to say i wish i ..... set goals and push towards them! You can have a raptor, just plan, put some down, save and it gives me a purpose for working!

OP
OP
T

timjitsu

Reaction score
The whole discussion is ridiculous. Go to any website with car payment calculator. Punch in the sticker plus $2.5k markup on average. You will know your monthly payments.
You already know your expenses down to a dollar.
So what are you asking?
Will you be able to aford a family trip to Alps for skiing? Will you be able to go to Berlin to puff and pay a Stormy Weather 40 euros for pleasure?
You know all the numbers. It aint colledge algebra. It all comes down to what you’re able to give up. Or not.

I'm just trying to get some perspective from people who own a raptor and maybe have been in my same situation where they had fought themselves on getting one and to know why they ended up getting or not getting oit. I mean to some people only having $1500 a month to spend on luxuries isn't close to being enough, to others that's way more than they need. Personally I'm in the middle. I like spend money on some luxuries here and there but it's not a necessity.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to check out the personal finance sub on Reddit.. they'll have more systems for you to check if it's doable.

I honestly think based off the numbers you'd be paying too much of your income towards the truck. However it depends on your goals for retirement and long term financial freedom.

I think you are going to find many of the members on here would never have bought the Raptor if it in anyway imposed on their lifestyle or financial freedom.

That being said for finance I went with PenFed as suggested by other members and got a very good rate albeit in a 36 month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm buying the truck out of state for MSRP. The area I live in there isn't a single dealership marking them up less than 20k. Some are marking them up 25-30k markup. A dealer by my house had 4 raptors with 802 packages on the lot for $105,000 after markup. So for the area I live in the market value of the truck is about 10k more than what I'm buying it for.
Then you should buy 8 of them, make $10k a piece with your instant equity, and pay cash for your Raptor.