Be my voice of reason please. Can I really afford the Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donh

Reaction score
$850 is 37% of your monthly $2300. That seems a rather large percentage of your take home for a depreciating asset. But, it's your money so spend it how you want.

OP
OP
T

timjitsu

Reaction score
What about a used Gen 1? I got one with only 35k miles in fantastic condition for $44k OTD.

yeah but that price is most likely a reflection of the mark up that was most likely paid by the original buyer. I have an opportunity to buy a new 2018 Gen2 for sticker. I will have an additional 10k equity in the truck.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about a slightly used 2017? You'd likely save a ton....And as the saying goes, if you have to ask, it's too much...

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I purchased my 2013 raptor for 50K five years ago and I can sell it for 45k. Of any car to get, the raptor is a good one to pick in terms of very little depreciation.

To the OP, buy it and have fun. You can sell it 3 years from now and get a big chunk back. Better than most cars.

$850 is 37% of your monthly $2300. That seems a rather large percentage of your take home for a depreciating asset. But, it's your money so spend it how you want.

Last edited:

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience when first evaluating a Raptor purchase. Mine was not so much, “Can I afford this?” but, “Is it financially irresponsible to spend so much on a vehicle?”

The deciding factor came down to residual values. My wife and I recently traded in her 2013 Explorer for a 2018 model. Over those five years, it has depreciated 70%, which worked out to be almost exactly what the payments amounted to. So after 5.5 years, we got our original down payment back.

While trucks depreciate less, it’s not substantially less. For the sake of arguement, let’s assume an XLT will depreciate 60% over five years. If you pay $45k for an XLT and trade it in five years, your residual is $18k. Raptors depreciate a lot less. Now, the verdict is still out on how the Gen2s will depreciate, but (admittedly anecdotal) numbers have five year residuals at 80%. To play it safe, let’s assume 75%. If you spend $60k on a Raptor and trade it in five years from now, your residual value is

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

I had a similar experience when first evaluating a Raptor purchase. Mine was not so much, “Can I afford this?” but, “Is it financially irresponsible to spend so much on a vehicle?”

The deciding factor came down to residual values. My wife and I recently traded in her 2013 Explorer for a 2018 model. Over those five years, it has depreciated 70%, which worked out to be almost exactly what the payments amounted to. So after 5.5 years, we got our original down payment back.

While trucks depreciate less, it’s not substantially less. For the sake of arguement, let’s assume an XLT will depreciate 60% over five years. If you pay $45k for an XLT and trade it in five years, your residual is $18k. Raptors depreciate a lot less. Now, the verdict is still out on how the Gen2s will depreciate, but (admittedly anecdotal) numbers have five year residuals at 80%. To play it safe, let’s assume 75%. If you spend $60k on a Raptor and trade it in five years from now, your residual value is

Not sure why my post was cut off, and am unable to edit it. Here is the full text:

While trucks depreciate less, it’s not substantially less. For the sake of arguement, let’s assume an XLT will depreciate 60% over five years. If you pay $45k for an XLT and trade it in five years, your residual is $18k. Raptors depreciate a lot less. Now, the verdict is still out on how the Gen2s will depreciate, but (admittedly anecdotal) numbers have five year residuals at 80%. To play it safe, let’s assume 75%. If you spend $60k on a Raptor and trade it in five years from now, your residual value is $45k. So between the two trucks, you’re coming out $12k ahead with the Raptor.

Obviously, there are many other factors (increased insurance, interest rate, fuel economy, etc), but the surface math works out in the Raptor’s favor.

Ultimately, I’m going to purchase a Raptor due to the residual value. In five years, I don’t want to be back to square one monthly payment wise, which is exactly where we are with my wife’s Explorer.

My $0.02. Oh, and it’s a badass truck. :)

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but that price is most likely a reflection of the mark up that was most likely paid by the original buyer. I have an opportunity to buy a new 2018 Gen2 for sticker. I will have an additional 10k equity in the truck.
Lol What? Truck sticker was $65, so it depreciated $20k in 3 years and 35k miles.

How will you have $10k in equity, just from the down payment?

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for 802 package you wont regret it costs more but in long run,its nice.