Military Raptor Owners

Should I go ahead and buy a $55K+ Ford Raptor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He ended up going for a ride in my raptor and I think I answered most of his questions as far as raptors go. He's a good kid, the last year at the academy should be a good year for him to grow up some. On a more important note I think he will be getting a raptor and keeping alive the streak of raptors at the academy.

Anyways. Hold down the fort while I'm gone big guy. Onto bigger and better things here. If you have any more raptor questions you have my cell. Something I took away from the academy that you should put a lot of thought into is that you are no better than anyone else just cause you'll have a butter bar in a year. Just a different job with different responsibilities. Don't be that ensign who goes in day 1 thinking his shit doesn't stink. I've been one for 2 days now and I already see plenty of my classmates power tripping and it's pretty disgusting. Don't be that guy, no one will respect you.

Anyways learn a lot this year. Good luck and ill probably cya out there bro.

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get it if it really is what you want. Gas is will always be a pain to deal with unless you buy a Smart car or something similar. Your age will effect the insurance, just go with USAA and your rates will show the benefits of good behavior faster.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm just going to say this, there are some straight shitbags in this thread, all this talk about officer this and officer that. Well you know gentlemen, this kid is a future officer, expected to lead future soldiers, marines, ******, or airmen, and all he is seeing here is a bunch of unprofessional servicemen being disrespectful for no reason other than they didn't like the vibe he gave off. I don't know the expectation of any other branch than my own, but in the army the nco creed puts it out first line, no one is more professional than I. Seriously, you should be thankful that he is either so behind the times because he's caught up in his education that he still says yolo or that he is saying it in jest to be ironic and has a sense of humor. Some of you are just joking, i'm not talking to you, others need to address their own professionalism before they attack anothers lack of maturity, the kid is in college of course he isn't ******* mature. Now to the OP, you're about to become an officer, a professional leader in the force, some of your questions are a little ridiculous, figure those out for yourself, you need to be a problem solver not a problem maker. The rest of you critical mouthbreathers might think about growing up before giving advice (and this applies even if you're 50+).

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLTW, I am going to assume this was directed partially at me and I just want a chance to respond. If you look at my posts, I did not insult him and that certainly was not my intention unlike your post where you are scolding us with a gentleman than in the end call us critical mouthbreathers. Hmm...

I did go to the same place he did, so I know exactly what it was like and I'm sure I was in a similar position at that age (except that I couldnt afford a Raptor then, which I am genuinely jealous of). I was trying to impart some wisdom I have accrued in the past 3 years since graduation that I certainly wish that I would have gotten. With that, my posts never also answered his questions that he posed which many of them, I hope you can agree, were to some effect of "it depends".

USNA, when are you getting it? I am anxious to hear about it.

AbaZappa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda glanced through so didn't read everything, decide for yourself don't let us tell you if you should do something or not.
As for the future officer thing hope ya make it, but remember that just because you're an officer doesn't mean you know all. Those that have been there done that will treat you with the respect you give them. If you flaunt your rank around they will not like it cause, you haven't deployed and they know what's really up. However if your cool with them treat them as they should be and don't abuse the rank they'll respect the crap out of you and show you how things should be done, not how they taught you to do it. That's how it works in the infantry world at least, a boot's a boot's regardless of rank.
Hope you get the truck they are tons of fun and i hope you enjoy the shit out of the military i know i did.

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the typical perceptions of Officers by Enlisted simply due to the bad apples that be. I also know that Academy Officers also have unique expectations of them by their Enlisted that all too often leads to disappointment due to our "unique" upbringing/culture that does promote early cynicism of the Fleet/Corps.

I am former enlisted Navy and a current U.S. Army Reserve Officer and jeebus man, that statement almost perfectly captures the issue with many USNA grads of which I have known many. Many are great people who are still close friends to this day.. many others couldn't get past their own opinion of themselves and how awesome they were for having graduated from the Naval Academy.

If you think there is a "typical perception of Officers by Enlisted simply due to bad apples.." wait until you understand the increased "typical perception of UNSA grads" by both enlisted AND officers alike.

I don't even know where to begin with your next sentence..

As was said earlier, your ability to grossly overanalyze this decision does not leave me with a warm fuzzy when thinking of you out in the fleet and faced with a true decision that may or may not have lives hanging in the balance.

You've already made your decision so just go buy the damn truck already.

~BGM

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just like the fact that there is so many military members with Raptors on here. It takes a special kind of sacrifice to be in the military, and in my opinion a special kind of sacrifice to own a Raptor. Both are encouraged and accepted in my book. Granted it took retirement and a contracting job before my dream came true, but don't let that stop you. BUY THE DAMN TRUCK ALREADY

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RLTW, I am going to assume this was directed partially at me and I just want a chance to respond. If you look at my posts, I did not insult him and that certainly was not my intention unlike your post where you are scolding us with a gentleman than in the end call us critical mouthbreathers. Hmm...

I did go to the same place he did, so I know exactly what it was like and I'm sure I was in a similar position at that age (except that I couldnt afford a Raptor then, which I am genuinely jealous of). I was trying to impart some wisdom I have accrued in the past 3 years since graduation that I certainly wish that I would have gotten. With that, my posts never also answered his questions that he posed which many of them, I hope you can agree, were to some effect of "it depends".

USNA, when are you getting it? I am anxious to hear about it.

I was not directing it at any one person in particular rather at the group as a whole who need to maintain a more professional demeanor while talking shop. I am an infantry officer, in our world everyone is a mouthbreather, dont take it personally. Your last the last part about your post is a bit scattered but i'll agree, the best answer for this man would be "it depends".