Mileage on Used Raptor vs New FX4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsd23722

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have been looking online for a used Raptor the past week and came across a few that I liked. I would like to stay under $45,000 but if I could snag a new one for 50 I would. The used ones for under $45,000 have around 30 to 40k miles on them. I know it all depends on how the individual truck was driven but I just wanted some opinions on if used Raptors in that mileage range seem to be a good idea. If new is really the only way to go then I will probably go with a loaded new 2014 FX4 that I can get for under $40,000. Thanks guys.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to factor in resale, the FX4 will not get you the same resale even newer with less miles. Yes it all depends on how the person drove the truck but a good look over or have a mechanic you trust check it out is the way to go with a 30-40k mile truck.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
resale may go out the window soon though, if a new raptor is announced, i would expect the value of gen1 to drop a bit...but i do agree, the fx4 isn't going to hold it's value as well as the raptor, it's a nice truck, and a new 14 fx4 can definitely be had for under 40, especially with the new 15s hitting the lots...

OP
OP
B

bsd23722

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Hazzard. So essentially you are saying if I paid 40,000 for a new FX4 and 45,000 for a used Raptor, the Raptor would seem to be the better "investment" due to resale value? Investment is a horrible term to use but I think you get the jist. From what I've seen researching, I would agree that used Raptors hold their value extremely well.

As for the next gen Raptor, from what I've seen it looks to be a eco boost Raptor. Not sure how fans of the 6.2 will react to a turbo. The exhaust note the 6.2 is one of the selling points for me, or even a 5.0 compared to the eco boost for that matter.

Last edited:

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, the raptor is a better "investment" the next gen raptors may make the first gen drop a little but I doubt it unless they offer an amazing engine and fix a few issues (IWE, power steering, ect). Nothing wrong with a FX4 I daily drive an 07 scab because of my commute, its a great truck and can offroad with the best of them and I just don't wanna put that kinda miles on the raptor.

OP
OP
B

bsd23722

Reaction score
One thing I forgot was the warranty....unless its a certified pre owned Raptor will I get any sort of warranty such as a leftover factory warranty with approx 30 to 40k miles? That's a major deciding factor between the 2 trucks

D

Deleted member 12951

Can't you add a Ford ESP if still under 3yrs/36k even if you are a 2nd owner?

2014 Rapture

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. You can add an ESP at anytime. It only qualifies for a "new car plan" if you buy it before the factory warranty coverage expires but an add on plan is available until about 120k.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My friend at work traded his new fx4 with icon shocks and upper control arms for a used raptor . He couldn't be happier ! The fx4 depreciated a lot compared to the raptor . Wait for a raptor ! It's worth it !!!