Looking specifically at high mileage Raptor 2013 or 14....bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even if you're not a DIY guy and are ok with paying a mechanic once in awhile a high mileage Raptor isn't any worse than anything else you'd buy with similar mileage and is honestly probably better.

well yes but you just need to realize you obviously wont have a warranty, so everything you are doing will be out of pocket.

idk about you but i cannot stomach paying over 100$ an hour for someone to do something i can do better in less time.

even the simplest of things can cost a shiiiit load of money for no reason but labor.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But I worry buying a truck like the Raptor with high miles is asking for trouble, as in $2000 every other month because something else broke trouble. Regular F150s are made to be beat on for 200k and beyond, are Raptors though?

Thank you for a good laugh I really needed it this morning....$2000 in repairs every two months are relevant to a buying a used Ferrari or a Bentley or McLauren (my buddy spent $175k on a used certified one with 9k miles to spend another $9k out of pocket at 12k miles for .....ball joints and water pump. lol)

If you have read "high mileage threads" here you should have seen that these trucks are built to last and run for a long time with no major issues.

Find the one that has been loved and maintained. Best of luck

OP
OP
Waddy

Waddy

Reaction score
as long as you know that you will have to pay out of pocket or do it yourself, i think a high miles raptor is the best bang for the buck.

Even if you're not a DIY guy and are ok with paying a mechanic once in awhile a high mileage Raptor isn't any worse than anything else you'd buy with similar mileage and is honestly probably better.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear.

I am not a big DIY guy, but my brother and father in law are so I'll always have willing help. Also I have no problem following instructions, if its straight forward. Anything major I'd probably pay somebody, but I'm not averse to getting my hands dirty and doing it myself. I'm fully aware that there will be things to do and pay for, but knowing it won't be any worse than an FX4 helps.

Thanks to everyone else who said "go for it" also, I figured that's what I would hear, but it's still good to get that reassurance from actual owners.

I won't be able to pick one up for another few weeks, maybe mid March, but I'll certainly be back to show-off my new toy and hang out to learn from you guys.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get what you really want now or you'll regret it later. Your budget is plenty for something about 100,000. Still plenty of life left in them at that mileage.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 93k mile 2010 a few months ago. Previously I was driving an '08 Porsche Cayenne turbo. That car will put the fear of God into you at repair time. I made it through on DIY skills but a motor is over $20k, and they DO fail.

I stumbled on the Raptor after cosigning myself to a regular F150 as a safe choice. They had this Raptor... and it is WAY cooler than any regular F150, so I end up going for it.

Upsides, seems pretty durable, a bit rattly and loose on rough stuff but not to the point of shedding parts. I run a lot of gravel and forest service roads with it. The Raptor does this better than about anything street legal.

I LOVE the sound of it, even the wimpy 5.4 has a nice bark to it, makes the truck fun to drive. Otherwise it is pretty comfortable and quiet inside. I have done 1300 miles in a day and not been crippled.

Downs, No matter how well cared for, have a repair fund for the first month. I bought mine at a dealer, they replaced the tires/aligned, battery, oil service, air filter, wipers and checked it over. Still, the brakes, while they have good life, must be the cheapest garbage the PO could find, they need to go, ~$300/axle. My third brake light is fried, $300 Raptor specific part, as are all the expensive leds on the exterior. Minor stuff though and I daily drive the truck, almost 102k now.

Rattles more than I am used to. Some of the interior ergonomics are just crap. For the biggest selling vehicle in the world, the interior layout is inexcusable, both major competitors offer better fitting guts.

I like the truck a lot though. Its character along with decent daily function make it a winner for me. I might keep it a couple of years.

Good Luck, I also suggest going for it.

OP
OP
Waddy

Waddy

Reaction score
Just following up, I got my beast!

91k on the odo for 32k, very clean truck. Had a PPI done that didn't turn up any red flags, truck was always serviced at the same dealer I bought it from. I picked it up in Austin TX last Wednesday, on my 2nd tank of 93 and already I can feel a difference from my drive in from Austin.

Thanks again to ya'll that helped me get over the jitters and pull the trigger.

Attachments

• 20180321_164537.jpg
    20180321_164537.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180321_164713.jpg
    20180321_164713.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 28