Looking specifically at high mileage Raptor 2013 or 14....bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waddy

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've been lurking for a couple months now and read every high mileage thread twice, so decided to start one specific to me.

I'm wordy, this is gonna be long, skip to the bottom for the short version.

I am looking specifically to buy a high mileage truck 90k+, because I want all the bells and whistles but I'm keeping to a budget. I have it narrowed down to 2 options:

2013 or 2014 model year because I want the HIDs.

Sensible Option: FX4, budget 24k max. Many examples on autotrader, I have 16 favorited.

I want a cool truck dammit! Option: Raptor, budget 31k max. Not many, but I have 6 favorited, all 110k or more, there is one that is right by me for 29k with 140k.

I wfh mostly so no everyday commute, when I do go into the office it's 30 miles round trip once a week tops. I'll probably put 6k a year on the thing. Truck is mostly going to hang out in the driveway, and make Home Depot runs (I may join my Jeep buddy for some off-road fun, but I'd be a total noob about it), which is why i dont mind a high mileage example.

I had a POS former Terminix Chevy S10 that I drove through college, after that I've been a car guy, Altima, A4, 370Z, Accord, got the wife a Q7. But after the flooding here in Houston and being trapped for 3 days (house didn't flood, but streets were impassable unless you had a truck with some height) I decided it's time to go full Texas and get a truck.

After giving up my Z for an Accord (we had a baby), I really want another cool vehicle that I actually like and have a connection to, versus the frickin microwave I drive now. The FX4 is the logical choice, though I'd have to modify it a bit to meet the flood escape needs. The Raptor is the emotional choice, get to say i drive a Raptor like i used to say i drive a Z, i'll probably look back it when i park it cuz that's what you do when you like your ride, and it already sits high and looks mean. But I worry buying a truck like the Raptor with high miles is asking for trouble, as in $2000 every other month because something else broke trouble. Regular F150s are made to be beat on for 200k and beyond, are Raptors though?

So that's the long, the short of it is:

Should I buy a high mileage (110k+) Raptor? Raising my budget above 31k is out of the question as wifey is already iffy on the words "high mileage Raptor".

Thoughts?

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the raptor won't nickel and dime you to death, after all it's an F150 which is highly reliable and cheap to repair. I have had not a single issue with my 2012, and we just turned 100k.

I vote good idea,

Gatica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Matman. I have a 2012 with 84k owned it probabky 3 years now purchased it with 36k miles, so you can see I drive a lot. I have spent $0 other then general maintenance(oil change,brakes,Tires ). I just got on the list for the shock exchange program.

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the raptor won't nickel and dime you to death, after all it's an F150 which is highly reliable and cheap to repair. I have had not a single issue with my 2012, and we just turned 100k.

I vote good idea,
Shocks rebuilt? So in 100k the only thing you have paid for is brakes, tires, and oil changes?

Gatica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct that is all I have put in it so far. I do a lot of Highway driving mostly. I have been of road on it a couple of times, probably 150 miles or so, mostly sand

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shocks rebuilt? So in 100k the only thing you have paid for is brakes, tires, and oil changes?

Yep, tires, pads and oil and a seat heater, which is common.

I did upgrade to fox 3.0s, but advise you plan a rebuild every 100k (or as fox advises which is less than 100k). A full rebuild is less than $600 through fox. Or through the rebuild exchange program here.

This platform is pretty reliable and where it's not, it's cheap to repair.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go for it. Any F150 should be able to do 200K+ easy without anything major wearing out. Every F150 in the junkyard around here that has a non-digital odometer is typically 300K+ miles. Can't tell on the newer stuff with digital ODs, but there's not many of them in the yards yet.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I'm at 169k in my 2010 and here are the issues I've had:

- AC/Heater blend door (replaced them all when I was in there)
- Sunroof plastic track pieces broken (Cheap $120 fix from Sunroof Dr.)
- Shocks needed rebuilt 1x and then replaced them with 3.0s
- Alternator went out at 168k (242 for a reman and $420 for a new Ford part)
- wires on two injectors broke right at the electrical plug ($10 and 10 mins to fix both)
- Driver side heated seat inop (haven't fixed but it's like $49)
- Seat control panel on both seats has broken ($11 part and 10 mins to fix)

This is all that's gone wrong in that time and All combined I've got maybe $500 in repairs into it at this point. It doesn't get any more solid than that and I beat the hell out of her in the dirt.

I wouldn't be scared of a high mileage Raptor at all, just try to find one with a good maintenance history and inspect it thoroughly.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i specifically waited until i found the highest mileage Raptor that was my dream list because these trucks are so reliable and cheap and easy to fix. side note i am a pretty heavy DIY guy, motors/trans ect all can be done over a weekend. i dont really do body though, not the skill or patience for it.

i got a 2013 screw with 119k for 30,000$, fully loaded with every single option except for raptor graphics and i think the blue interior inserts.

its at 140k now and i have taken it on 3 1500 mile + trips so far and never had a major issue.

-the power steering pump went out pretty quick in the sand one day teaching the woman how to handle offroad better.
-ive had a CEL keep coming back for emissions issues, i thought it was the door but i recently saw it again, went away after i put gas in it and havent seen it in over a month. may have still been the door.
-i still need to rebuild the shocks-its on my to do list.

as long as you know that you will have to pay out of pocket or do it yourself, i think a high miles raptor is the best bang for the buck.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
i specifically waited until i found the highest mileage Raptor that was my dream list because these trucks are so reliable and cheap and easy to fix. side note i am a pretty heavy DIY guy, motors/trans ect all can be done over a weekend. i dont really do body though, not the skill or patience for it.

i got a 2013 screw with 119k for 30,000$, fully loaded with every single option except for raptor graphics and i think the blue interior inserts.

its at 140k now and i have taken it on 3 1500 mile + trips so far and never had a major issue.

-the power steering pump went out pretty quick in the sand one day teaching the woman how to handle offroad better.
-ive had a CEL keep coming back for emissions issues, i thought it was the door but i recently saw it again, went away after i put gas in it and havent seen it in over a month. may have still been the door.
-i still need to rebuild the shocks-its on my to do list.

as long as you know that you will have to pay out of pocket or do it yourself, i think a high miles raptor is the best bang for the buck.

Even if you're not a DIY guy and are ok with paying a mechanic once in awhile a high mileage Raptor isn't any worse than anything else you'd buy with similar mileage and is honestly probably better.