Looking at a Raptor... need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zbrady107

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, looking to move from my 2005 F150 FX4 into a Raptor. There's a dealer local to me that's got a 2011 oxford white SCREW with 74k on it with the asking price at $35k. Clean carfax, options wise it's got everything you can get on it I believe with the exception of heated seats. Appears all stock.

Aside from taking it to a Ford dealer (it's at a Dodge dealer) for a pre-sales inspection - what should I check? Anything I should worry about?

I've got some friends and coworkers that are giving me grave warnings about why I should stay away from a used Raptor.

Anyone care to share some advice about what path you would personally take?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First of all, if it has everything then it should have heated seats. Crawl underneath and look for signs of abuse - mud, dents, scrapes, etc. Check under the doors for rust. Look between the motor and trans for leaks. Check the shocks for any signs of oil leaks. Check under the hood for any leaks, cut wires, etc. Check the frame above the rear axle and right behind the cab for any cracks or bends. Look at the area behind the cab and infront of the bed where it might have hit the back of the cab.

Good luck! Sounds like a fair price......

OP
OP
Z

zbrady107

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, if it has everything then it should have heated seats. Crawl underneath and look for signs of abuse - mud, dents, scrapes, etc. Check under the doors for rust. Look between the motor and trans for leaks. Check the shocks for any signs of oil leaks. Check under the hood for any leaks, cut wires, etc. Check the frame above the rear axle and right behind the cab for any cracks or bends. Look at the area behind the cab and infront of the bed where it might have hit the back of the cab.

Good luck! Sounds like a fair price......

I had a brainfart... it HAS heated seats, it does not have COOLED seats. I was thinking cooled and typed heated for some reason!! DOH!

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@2014RubyRed is spot on about what to look for, but some of that may be challenging without putting it on a lift. If you have any doubts, I would suggest taking it to a local independent 4x4 shop since they know what to look for as well.

OP
OP
Z

zbrady107

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@2014RubyRed is spot on about what to look for, but some of that may be challenging without putting it on a lift. If you have any doubts, I would suggest taking it to a local independent 4x4 shop since they know what to look for as well.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. The Dodge dealer that's got the truck is a little pushy so I'm not sure how wild they are going to be about me wanting to take it elsewhere for a pre-sales inspection. If they refuse then I'll be telling them "see ya later" and taking my money elsewhere.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kind of what I'm thinking. The Dodge dealer that's got the truck is a little pushy so I'm not sure how wild they are going to be about me wanting to take it elsewhere for a pre-sales inspection. If they refuse then I'll be telling them "see ya later" and taking my money elsewhere.

Absolutely. It's a huge red flag to me if they won't let you take it somewhere else to get it checked out on your dime! They should be happy that you want to get it inspected since that shows you are serious about buying the truck.

OP
OP
Z

zbrady107

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. It's a huge red flag to me if they won't let you take it somewhere else to get it checked out on your dime! They should be happy that you want to get it inspected since that shows you are serious about buying the truck.

Yep. I'm planning to go through it with a fine tooth comb. If they aren't willing to play ball... see ya later. These same guys tried to hose me on my trade. I'm selling it private party TODAY for double what they offered me at the dealer on Monday. They even went so far as to say my asking price for my current truck was a pipe dream... can't wait to bring in the cash as a down payment because the buyer made a full price offer! :)

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Yep. I'm planning to go through it with a fine tooth comb. If they aren't willing to play ball... see ya later. These same guys tried to hose me on my trade. I'm selling it private party TODAY for double what they offered me at the dealer on Monday. They even went so far as to say my asking price for my current truck was a pipe dream... can't wait to bring in the cash as a down payment because the buyer made a full price offer! :)

While the shocks might not show any leaking at 74k they will need a rebuild so plan on that. If they are leaking I wouldn't consider just that alone a deal breaker though.