Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Prospective Raptor Owners
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.


Prospective Raptor Owners

Got my Raptor $2,940 under MSRP


This is a discussion on Got my Raptor $2,940 under MSRP within the Prospective Raptor Owners forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Ford isnt even as close on the bronco as everyone thinks they are. They havent even decided if it will ...


User Tag List

Like Tree19Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #41 (permalink)
 
zombiekiller's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Ford isnt even as close on the bronco as everyone thinks they are. They havent even decided if it will be full size or wrangler sized. Call me a skeptic, but I think they have much bigger fish to fry than appeasing those who want a v8 regardless of whether it would be actually down on power from the ecoboost.

Much like people skipped getting a gt350 because the gt500 was "right around the corner", keep on waiting for that 7.0... it'll come... someday.




zombiekiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #42 (permalink)
 
Raptor911's Avatar
FRF Addict

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ashburn, VA
Age: 48
Posts: 2,643
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
I can't understand the fascination with a 7L V8. Ford has invested heavily in Turbo technology. But let's pretend Ford is planning for a V8. Why in the hell would they do a 7L? A 4L V8 Ecoboost would make more sense. Customers would get their V8 truck and Ford gets the Ecoboost and thus everyone would win.

Don't forget, Ford has invested heavily in reducing the weight in the F150 and a 7L V8 would counter this investment.

A 4L V8 would produce some crazy HP/Torque considering the 3.5L V6 produces more than enough power.


__________________
7/11/2012: 2013 Terrain Screw (801A, 96W & 76F) ordered. Dealer# F44070, Order# V465, priority 13
12/1/12: Drove her home
Raptor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
 
dude1782's Avatar
FRF Addict

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PHX, AZ/SLO, CA
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
Much like people skipped getting a gt350 because the gt500 was "right around the corner", keep on waiting for that 7.0... it'll come... someday.
Now the gt500 is finally set for 2019 so all those people who waited 4 years will finally be able to get one. Although I hear the 2020 hybrid mustang will be even faster so I'm waiting for that one.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Raptor911 View Post
I can't understand the fascination with a 7L V8. Ford has invested heavily in Turbo technology. But let's pretend Ford is planning for a V8. Why in the hell would they do a 7L? A 4L V8 Ecoboost would make more sense. Customers would get their V8 truck and Ford gets the Ecoboost and thus everyone would win.

Don't forget, Ford has invested heavily in reducing the weight in the F150 and a 7L V8 would counter this investment.

A 4L V8 would produce some crazy HP/Torque considering the 3.5L V6 produces more than enough power.
The rumor of the large displacement gas v8 stems from ford's plans to replace the current 6.2 and 6.8 gasser engines in the super duty. Clickbait articles and v8 dreamers then reasoned it could be a raptor option much like the previous generation. The fascination with it is that a naturally aspirated v8 with similar performance to the ecoboost would have much more/better aftermarket performance potential, better sound, and potentially better reliability.

Personally, I think an 8 cylinder would be pretty neat with aftermarket cam, headers, exhaust, and a tune and when the time comes a sweet Whipple supercharger.

Ecoboost performance is great in stock form (some may not agree). Although the aftermarket potential argument is pretty reasonable. A lot can be accomplished with a tune and bolt ons, however when you upgrade the turbos you begin to lose low end which is a big deal on this application. This is not the case with superchargers. Sound seems to be a much bigger deal to some people than others and then there's even more arguments about which sound and it's a mess. The case for reliability is also subject to skepticism (how many problems really are there and has it been long enough to make a judgement).


__________________
My Build Thread
AZRR Racin' to the Basin...June Raptor Assault...AZRR Four Peaks...AZRR Dirt Therapy...AZRR Prescott Loop
dude1782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
 
zombiekiller's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by dude1782 View Post
Now the gt500 is finally set for 2019 so all those people who waited 4 years will finally be able to get one. Although I hear the 2020 hybrid mustang will be even faster so I'm waiting for that one.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------



The rumor of the large displacement gas v8 stems from ford's plans to replace the current 6.2 and 6.8 gasser engines in the super duty. Clickbait articles and v8 dreamers then reasoned it could be a raptor option much like the previous generation. The fascination with it is that a naturally aspirated v8 with similar performance to the ecoboost would have much more/better aftermarket performance potential, better sound, and potentially better reliability.

Personally, I think an 8 cylinder would be pretty neat with aftermarket cam, headers, exhaust, and a tune and when the time comes a sweet Whipple supercharger.

Ecoboost performance is great in stock form (some may not agree). Although the aftermarket potential argument is pretty reasonable. A lot can be accomplished with a tune and bolt ons, however when you upgrade the turbos you begin to lose low end which is a big deal on this application. This is not the case with superchargers. Sound seems to be a much bigger deal to some people than others and then there's even more arguments about which sound and it's a mess. The case for reliability is also subject to skepticism (how many problems really are there and has it been long enough to make a judgement).
If I waited 4 years for a mythical vehicle that I wanted to drive, I'd be wearing out a bus pass by now.

I'd be interested to see what happens if you yank the turbos off the current ecoboost, and replace them with a SC.

You hear me whipple? How much powers can you make? How torquey can it get?

In all reality, I think I know why not...

The rear differential, front differential and transfer case would all shatter to pieces instantaneously.

Some people HAVE to make big power. Most people in the know will tell you, much like in road racing, It isn't how much HP or torque that you can make. The secret sauce to a capable truck is how much speed you can carry.

After a simple tune, These trucks have plenty of power for me and my application. How much faster do I REALLY need to get to 80-90 mph?

My answer is, " not any faster than I already do."
zombiekiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
 
dude1782's Avatar
FRF Addict

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PHX, AZ/SLO, CA
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
If I waited 4 years for a mythical vehicle that I wanted to drive, I'd be wearing out a bus pass by now.

I'd be interested to see what happens if you yank the turbos off the current ecoboost, and replace them with a SC.

You hear me whipple? How much powers can you make? How torquey can it get?

In all reality, I think I know why not...

The rear differential, front differential and transfer case would all shatter to pieces instantaneously.

Some people HAVE to make big power. Most people in the know will tell you, much like in road racing, It isn't how much HP or torque that you can make. The secret sauce to a capable truck is how much speed you can carry.

After a simple tune, These trucks have plenty of power for me and my application. How much faster do I REALLY need to get to 80-90 mph?

My answer is, " not any faster than I already do."
Suspension is definitely underrated in most performance applications. The raptor has enough power as is and can make respectable gains with simple modifications. Suspension upgrades will make a much bigger difference where it's important for this truck. When it does reach the point where it could benefit from more usable power a v8 could be supercharged but an ecoboost with upgraded turbos would have LESS hp/tq than stock until 3,000 or so RPM which is pretty significant. Stock it makes boost and decent tq before 2,000 which is reasonable but coming up on 3,000 is much less so.

Aside from all that, most people want maximum hp to maximize their fun. They aren't considering whether or not the truck NEEDS power because it doesn't. A tune and some bolt ons will give it plenty of power and probably more than you would ever need, but some people want as much power as possible just to screw around, toast tires, and have fun. Blowing up their diffs and transfer case is an increased possibility but your depiction of them instantly shattering upon the application of increased power is dramatic.


__________________
My Build Thread
AZRR Racin' to the Basin...June Raptor Assault...AZRR Four Peaks...AZRR Dirt Therapy...AZRR Prescott Loop
dude1782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
 
zombiekiller's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by dude1782 View Post
Suspension is definitely underrated in most performance applications. The raptor has enough power as is and can make respectable gains with simple modifications. Suspension upgrades will make a much bigger difference where it's important for this truck. When it does reach the point where it could benefit from more usable power a v8 could be supercharged but an ecoboost with upgraded turbos would have LESS hp/tq than stock until 3,000 or so RPM which is pretty significant. Stock it makes boost and decent tq before 2,000 which is reasonable but coming up on 3,000 is much less so.

Aside from all that, most people want maximum hp to maximize their fun. They aren't considering whether or not the truck NEEDS power because it doesn't. A tune and some bolt ons will give it plenty of power and probably more than you would ever need, but some people want as much power as possible just to screw around, toast tires, and have fun. Blowing up their diffs and transfer case is an increased possibility but your depiction of them instantly shattering upon the application of increased power is dramatic.
My estimation of the sensitivity of the differentials is based on feedback from folks that helped develop and test the pre-production trucks.

One racer did baja last year in the stock spec raptor. That dude is like the smoothest off-road driver on earth. If I could remember his name I'd toss it out there.

Ford nixed the ability to lock the rear at higher speeds because it is rather easy to make it puke its guts if it is shock loaded due to driver error or hitting a positive traction surface unexpectedly.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get your point. While I'd appreciate better sounds coming out of the truck, I also really love my truck and I do not believe that I'd trade it for one with the only difference being a v8. It just isn't that important to me.

Big HP is for fast road vehicles and dedicated off-road rigs, IMO.

But again, that's my opinion.
zombiekiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
 
dude1782's Avatar
FRF Addict

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PHX, AZ/SLO, CA
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
My estimation of the sensitivity of the differentials is based on feedback from folks that helped develop and test the pre-production trucks.

One racer did baja last year in the stock spec raptor. That dude is like the smoothest off-road driver on earth. If I could remember his name I'd toss it out there.

Ford nixed the ability to lock the rear at higher speeds because it is rather easy to make it puke its guts if it is shock loaded due to driver error or hitting a positive traction surface unexpectedly.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get your point. While I'd appreciate better sounds coming out of the truck, I also really love my truck and I do not believe that I'd trade it for one with the only difference being a v8. It just isn't that important to me.

Big HP is for fast road vehicles and dedicated off-road rigs, IMO.

But again, that's my opinion.


You’re probably talking about Greg Foutz. The differential has some durability problems but they weren’t exploding to the touch on supercharged gen 1s.

I agree with upgrading suspension first. There are some big improvements that can be made on the suspension but if the truck were modified to a point where it was ready for big power, the ecoboost wouldn’t be up for it. Suspension is the first priority with my truck and I wouldn’t trade it in for a v8 either. But had there been an option at the time of purchase I would have gone for it.


Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk


__________________
My Build Thread
AZRR Racin' to the Basin...June Raptor Assault...AZRR Four Peaks...AZRR Dirt Therapy...AZRR Prescott Loop
dude1782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Raptor at MSRP or 2018 for $5k+MSRP Clockton Prospective Raptor Owners 5 09-28-2017 12:22 PM
Looking for MSRP Raptor Bizz Prospective Raptor Owners 2 08-21-2017 02:45 PM
MSRP Raptor rdy4rptr Prospective Raptor Owners 2 06-01-2017 11:27 AM
Poll: What deal did you get? MSRP, MSRP+ADM, or below MSRP? solsurfr Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] 29 11-02-2016 07:54 PM
Do you have to pay msrp to buy a raptor? eseybold 2012 Ford SVT Raptor Forum (Reply Only) 30 02-03-2012 09:02 AM



GM Truck Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Dodge Ram Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Jeep Liberty Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Land Rover Forum
Scion FR-S Forum
TRD Forum
Central US Mopars
Southeast Mopars
Cadillac CTS Forum
Oklahoma Dodge Ram Club
Softball Forum