Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Prospective Raptor Owners
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Prospective Raptor Owners

FX4 vs Raptor

This is a discussion on FX4 vs Raptor within the Prospective Raptor Owners forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Still debating whether I will get a Raptor next year or maybe a ...

User Tag List

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default FX4 vs Raptor

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Still debating whether I will get a Raptor next year or maybe a loaded FX4. I'm curious if some of you have experience off-roading with both of these vehicles. I know the Raptor is designed for high speed desert travel but as an overall 4x4 how do they compare? My vehicle will experience varied terrain from desert to alpine mountain locations. Just curious to see if someone has gone through the paces in each vehicle and what their thoughts are strictly as a 4x4.

Thanks!

WyoStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I live in the Midwest.. There's no deserts around these parts. The Raptor excels in all 4x4 environments.

Mudding in a Raptor requires a different mindset, it is not a high horsepower light Jeep. It is a 3 ton pig in the mud and floatation is not an option. Using the beast's momentum and and shear horsepower will get you through most mud with a good set of mud tires (not stock tires). It is not pretty or graceful and requires you to pick your line before committing.

-Greg
JP7, MotuMute and shooterAMG like this.
Squatting Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by GJMcManus View Post
I live in the Midwest.. There's no deserts around these parts. The Raptor excels in all 4x4 environments.

Mudding in a Raptor requires a different mindset, it is not a high horsepower light Jeep. It is a 3 ton pig in the mud and floatation is not an option. Using the beast's momentum and and shear horsepower will get you through most mud with a good set of mud tires (not stock tires). It is not pretty or graceful and requires you to pick your line before committing.

-Greg
I don't expect either one to come close to my '68 Bronco that has been in the family since September of 67 (best stock 4x4 ever in my mind) but I'm just curious what various owners who may have owned both think about their 4x4 capability. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

The Raptor far exceeds stock FX4 with torsen and electronic drivetrain control. It rides better than FX4 (Raptor is plush car ride compared to FX4 stiff suspension)
The Raptor is the ONLY truck I have driven 14+ and not be stiff/sore/cramped up afterwards.

-Greg
WyoStorm likes this.
Squatting Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Night Raptor Support 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)

Def. agree on the road trips. The wife and I love. Very comfortable.

Joe

2012 SCREW | NIGHT RAPTOR Revolution Wap | RPG Stage 4+, Black Tie-rods, Prerunner 1.0 UCA, Steering Res | AMB LED Light Kit | Raptor Retrofit HIDs w/ Amber Ring | Hefty Fabworks Skid Plates | ADD ABS Guard | Recon 10500lb Winch w/ Factor55 | Whelen LEDs | WSI FE Mount | Extang Solidfold | Weathertech Liners | PDP Flaps | TYT9000VHF Radio |
I love Raptorwifey
Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

No comparison,

A friend has a loaded out 2012 FX4, I was not at all impressed with it but he absolutely loves my 2011 Raptor and cannot believe how comfortable it rides he will be trading it in on a 2013 Raptor

LineX premium Color match Bedliner/Valentine One hard wired and Blend Mount/ All around window Tint/ Craven stubby/Sick Hid Headlights/ Roush CAI and Exhaust/LED Bulbs/ Ez down tailgate/ Rigid Fog Lights/ Mid Perch Adjustment/Mirror Reflector delete/RPG Stage 3/Outlaw Hood Mounts/AMD Puddle Lights/Home link Visor/ Built Ford Tough Hood wrap
willis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I sold my FX4 in April to buy my Raptor. The FX4 is a great and very capable truck that I loved, but compared to the Raptor it's night and day! The FX4 was good off-road but only for mild offroading. The wide stance and amazing suspension of the Raptor is obvious the 1st time you drive it. Hwy ride is so comfortable!

Dave
Dkyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by willis68 View Post
No comparison,

A friend has a loaded out 2012 FX4, I was not at all impressed with it but he absolutely loves my 2011 Raptor and cannot believe how comfortable it rides he will be trading it in on a 2013 Raptor
This is exactly the kind of info I want to hear. Tks!

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Dkyacht View Post
I sold my FX4 in April to buy my Raptor. The FX4 is a great and very capable truck that I loved, but compared to the Raptor it's night and day! The FX4 was good off-road but only for mild offroading. The wide stance and amazing suspension of the Raptor is obvious the 1st time you drive it. Hwy ride is so comfortable!

Dave
Interesting. I'll be curious if anyone comes on with higher praise for the FX4 and it's off-road capability. There's a stretch of Mosquito Pass (in CO) that I often take a break when I'm mountain biking up and down the pass and that F150's have always done well over this stretch. Often times better than anything else.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by WyoStorm View Post
This is exactly the kind of info I want to hear. Tks!

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Interesting. I'll be curious if anyone comes on with higher praise for the FX4 and it's off-road capability. There's a stretch of Mosquito Pass (in CO) that I often take a break when I'm mountain biking up and down the pass and that F150's have always done well over this stretch. Often times better than anything else.
Maybe it's more how confident the Raptor makes you feel off-road?? Until you drive both its hard to describe! I did plenty in my FX4 and it handled everything I threw st it, but I wouldn't have dreamt of doing the things I do in my Raptor in my FX4! A few weeks ago I hit 138-140mph on a dirt road in my Raptor and it felt like 65mph on the hwy! I didn't even go 80mph in my FX4 on the same rd.

Dave
Dkyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

(Thread Starter)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by Dkyacht View Post
Maybe it's more how confident the Raptor makes you feel off-road?? Until you drive both its hard to describe! I did plenty in my FX4 and it handled everything I threw st it, but I wouldn't have dreamt of doing the things I do in my Raptor in my FX4! A few weeks ago I hit 138-140mph on a dirt road in my Raptor and it felt like 65mph on the hwy! I didn't even go 80mph in my FX4 on the same rd.

Dave
Now that's impressive! I know some desert areas I'd like to try that. At least a 100 mph lol!