Ford Raptor vs Others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found my Raptor to be the singular most comfortable road trip vehicle I've ever owned. The seats are comfy (and heated and cooled!), the ride is awesome, and the handling is extremely good due to the extra-wide stance and the sharper steering ratio (compared to SCABs and regular F-150s) of the truck. About the only drawback that I've found so far is that the fuel economy is mediocre at best, and awful when you're really having fun with the truck. But, you said that MPGs don't matter, so I vote you get a Raptor!

I did a straight-shot drive from south Texas back to Colorado in February. 17 hours of drive-time, 1100 miles and I wasn't completely dead by the time I got there.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, to boss hoss, for what I'm talking about, it doesn't matter what the diesel is making for power, a raptor can barely keep traction at full throttle, you think more power is gonna help that? Second is that the raptor's front end is tipping the edge of too heavy as it is with the 6.2L, you think tossing another 500-600 pounds up there would help? Diesel engines are extremely heavy for their size, because they have to be able to contain the extra power there is in diesel fuel and the extreme compression ratios diesels run at compared to gas engines, the extent you would have to modify a diesel truck to be able to compete with a stock raptor offroad, you'd be better off buying the raptor and putting that money into the engine

And to wanderfalk, diesels were built to run under load all the time, the basic principles of a big rig diesel and even the smallest commuter diesel are the same, the truck must be put under full load and boost to have all the oil seals work properly, this is why turbo failures are very common on the light duty diesels (f-250, Chevy 2500, any of them), also, diesel engines run without a throttle body, however much air each cylinder can possibly intake per revolution is brought into the cylinder every revolution, whether you're at low fuel pedal positions or high fuel pedal positions, when the engine is not under load it does not produce enough heat for the oil and piston rings to do their job, the most wear on a gas engine is when it is first started up, the most wear on a diesel engine is when it is idling
, both of those conditions are due to low engine temperatures, light duty diesels are built to almost the same standards as the heavy duty diesel engines in big rigs, which can run for millions of miles, a properly run and maintained light duty diesel will last for half a million miles with little to no problems

One last thing, black smoke does not equal power, black smoke is caused by too much fuel being dumped into the cylinder for it to burn properly, if there's more fuel than the air can use, it causes more air and fuel that would've burned properly to not burn properly, which results in less power than if the exact amount of fuel needed were put into the cylinder

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cleave-----do not disagree about the application of an oil burner in the Raptor. The weight is always an issue but you have further illustrated my point regarding knowledge of the diesel engine. You have been reading the wrong information on the web.

I have had several that have had close to 200k---the heat generated by the modifications and propane injection would get the egt's up way past what pulling any trailer would in stock configuration. Been there done that have a box of tee shirts.

Just let it go son you are only digging deeper.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A stock diesel engine will not though, you seem to like to make a lot of assumptions about what others are saying hoss, but yeah, this conversation is over

Off Road WannaBe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your both right your both telling half of the full story. Idling has always been a diesel motors worst enemy and always will be simple because at idle rpms its not generating enough heat to burn the fuel and creates extra soot and carbon now that unburnt fuel soot and carbon get pushed past the rings wearing them and the walls out prematurely and ends up in the oil getting pumped around the motor slowly destroying everything else. Frequent oil changes can slow down the problem but won't fix it.
On the motors of yesterday before egr dpf's and scr they can get to proper operating temp just driving around town with no load and stay healthy with proper maintenance. Once you throw egr and dpf into the mix yes operating temp becomes an issue cause the dpf needs high enough egts to ignite the seventh injector spray to burn off the crap on the filter if the egts arnt high enough leaving manifold they will cool down too much to lite the spray and shit keeps clogging up worsening performance destroying turbos and pushing crap past the rings. So yes that's were running with load on the motor most of the time is useful but like anything routine dpf cleaning and oil changes you'll be fine...or just strip the emissions crap and run it like it should be.

Lastly get a raptor you won't regret it as much as the 2500 lol
Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

RaptorBronco

Reaction score
No matter how much money you put in the 2500 you'll still be bored with it. It's not good at anything other than towing and it doesn't sound like your pulling 10,000+ Daily so.... The Raptor "right out of the box" is a blast! Go ahead an do RPG Stage 2+ for towing and offroad improvements and anything else you want to do. You'll be happy. Drives amazing on/offroad and tows GREAT with the RPG setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LastLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through this similar decision recently. I liked the diesel but knew I would not be using it for towing enough to justify it. That combined with the new exhaust regulations which killed your MPG, made it easy for me to pursue a truck that had the look and feel of what I really wanted.

I have read that a vehicle is an extension of your own personality.

True or not I don't know but the Raptor did make me feel proud to be in that truck. In a crazy kind of way I guess it is similar to my personality.

I chose the Raptor just for the look and feel and if I decide to take it off road then it will be there to do what I want. I would prefer to have a truck with the capability of what I may never experience then to be in a situation and wish I had a truck with the capability to get me out of a situation.

Raptor just fit my application better.

In the end, get what fits your situation the best.