Ford Raptor vs Others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Temple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is the truck you want. You just need to determine if the payload and towing capacity is sufficient for your needs. And with 10k slated for mods, you can allocate some of that for springs and improve its overall ability both as a tow vehicle and an off-road vehicle.

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe phone

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Lets do a quick comparison on your points

Commute: Raptor > Duramax

Towing: Raptor < Duramax (Raptor will tow things such as boats just fine though)

Cargo: Raptor < Duramax (5.5' bed makes it more interesting. Extender helps, just
don't go crazy on weight)

So for the work stuff, of course the Duramax is gonna do it better, but what the Raptor does better are things like this:

-Comfort on long tips. You couldn't get much more comfort by driving your lazy boy

-Pride of ownership. You buy one and I guarantee you'll take every chance you can to look at it (walking away after parking it, peeking at it in the garage etc.)

-Offroad. This is honestly not even a comparison. The Raptor is built to do it and does it amazingly well

Unless you're towing huge loads and putting concrete in the bed of your truck daily you're gonna be happier with the Raptor. I have a 2010 5.4 and it's a solid reliable truck that does everything I've asked of it.

Soldier64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive owned a 250 Diesel and now a Raptor and I do not regret my decision at all. The points have all been made and the decision is ultimately yours. Why buy a Raptor? Because everytime you look at one if you don't you will say "Damn, I should have bought the Raptor." The Raptor will tow most things you as a normal person will throw at it. If you have some huge heavy trailor then you have something else to think about. I cannot say anything that has not already been said. I wish you luck in your decision.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lets do a quick comparison on your points

Commute: Raptor > Duramax

Towing: Raptor < Duramax (Raptor will tow things such as boats just fine though)

Cargo: Raptor < Duramax (5.5' bed makes it more interesting. Extender helps, just
don't go crazy on weight)

So for the work stuff, of course the Duramax is gonna do it better, but what the Raptor does better are things like this:

-Comfort on long tips. You couldn't get much more comfort by driving your lazy boy

-Pride of ownership. You buy one and I guarantee you'll take every chance you can to look at it (walking away after parking it, peeking at it in the garage etc.)

-Offroad. This is honestly not even a comparison. The Raptor is built to do it and does it amazingly well

Unless you're towing huge loads and putting concrete in the bed of your truck daily you're gonna be happier with the Raptor. I have a 2010 5.4 and it's a solid reliable truck that does everything I've asked of it.

This is the best way to look at it. If u need a work horse a diesel is better suited. It u want a good all around rig that is setup great to offroad out of the box the raptor is king

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
excessive wear

if you plan on offroading the truck, get the raptor, plain and simple, you will never get any diesel engine truck to perform the same way in the dirt, if you plan on towing and want a diesel, get an F-250 with the 6.7L, if you want a truck to just drive around town, get a cheaper gas engine truck, you wouldn't be doing yourself any favors owning a diesel truck to drive it like that, diesels are meant to be run under load, all the time, and you'll wear out the engine prematurely if you don't use it, and no, doing burnouts and flooring it all the time do not count as being under load for a diesel engine

why do diesel engines wear excessively when not towing?

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Sit in it. Drive it. i bet you will pick the one that doesn't make my labrador bark. For some reason my dog barks at diesels...He doesn't like that loose wrench sound..The seats in the raptor are better than everything else.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you plan on offroading the truck, get the raptor, plain and simple, you will never get any diesel engine truck to perform the same way in the dirt, if you plan on towing and want a diesel, get an F-250 with the 6.7L, if you want a truck to just drive around town, get a cheaper gas engine truck, you wouldn't be doing yourself any favors owning a diesel truck to drive it like that, diesels are meant to be run under load, all the time, and you'll wear out the engine prematurely if you don't use it, and no, doing burnouts and flooring it all the time do not count as being under load for a diesel engine

Just a fyi---you are way off on the oil burners. Have had many over the years with several making more HP and TQ than a SC 6.2 offered by vendors here. Need to understand what you are talking about..

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Screw, coming from a 2012 2500HD Z71. Let me point out WHAT I'VE EXPERIENCED:

The Raptor can tow a boat or medium sized trailer no problem. If you've got a "toy box" or bigger "weekend warrior" type trailer then you would be better off with a 2500HD

Raptor is smaller inside and out. I'm 6'6 and had plenty of leg and head room in the front and would often lift up the rear seats and sleep with my girl in the back. Plenty of room for grown ups to sit or sleep

Raptor has more "bells and whistles" then the 2500HD.

It's all preference. I miss the size and room of my 2500HD but the raptor has it beat in the fun factor. When I was behind the wheel of my 2500HD I would cruise and make sure everyone saw me. It was a ******* beast. When I drive my raptor, people don't see me because I fly!!!!

Just go with what you want more. Raptor is made for off roading with limited towing capabilities. 2500HD is made for towing with limited off roading capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Temple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove by a Chevy dealership today and the hood was up on every one of their cars. If I were indecisive, I'd be leaning toward the Ford about now.

:hat:

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I drove by a Chevy dealership today and the hood was up on every one of their cars. If I were indecisive, I'd be leaning toward the Ford about now.

:hat:

That sales tactic kills me! "Look the truck has an engine! It's brand new so nothing could be wrong with it, but look at the engine!"