Flat towing a 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Reaction score
Treynor, was James Ford able to point you to an on-line version of the supplement? I've been looking, but I haven't seen it available yet.

He emailed me a snippet from a PDF of the manual. I also haven't seen it online yet. If you have a specific question, DM me and I'll see if it's in the supplement fragment I've got.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@treynor sounds like you got your answer. When you contacted Ford did you call Ford Performance? Can't imagine they wouldn't be able to tell you.

Also, welcome to the forum, good to see you. Just be warned it's a bit different here than some of the others out there, but a lot of great members and a ton of knowledge on Gen1 and I'm sure soon to be a ton of knowledge on Gen2s.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Probably better to post anything related to the Gen2s in that sub-forum. All the G2 action is there...good and bad

OP
OP
T

treynor

Reaction score
I would never flat tow any 4-wheel drive vehicle. I know I'm not helping lol but just saying.

I'm curious why? I've been flat towing 4WD vehicles for over a decade now; well over 10K miles and exactly zero issues. Not all of them are flat tow capable, but those that are state it in the owners' manual. Jeep JK, GMC Sierra HD, and now Ford F150 -- follow the steps in the manual, put the transfer case in N, and away you go...

@treynor sounds like you got your answer. When you contacted Ford did you call Ford Performance? Can't imagine they wouldn't be able to tell you.

I tried the tech line, which got me to someone who suggested I call Ford's marketing department :biggrin:

jrrhoad

Reaction score
I'm curious why? I've been flat towing 4WD vehicles for over a decade now; well over 10K miles and exactly zero issues. Not all of them are flat tow capable, but those that are state it in the owners' manual. Jeep JK, GMC Sierra HD, and now Ford F150 -- follow the steps in the manual, put the transfer case in N, and away you go...

I tried the tech line, which got me to someone who suggested I call Ford's marketing department :biggrin:
@treynor have you tried this yet? About to put a down payment on a Gen 2. I see the supplement is online but wondering if anyone has actually done it yet.

elliott1976

Reaction score
It states, "If your vehicle has a steering wheel lock make sure the ignition is in the accessory or on position when being towed." Do you have to tow with the accessory switch turned on to not allow the steering wheel to lock? If so, how long before the battery goes low?

14gti

Reaction score
It states, "If your vehicle has a steering wheel lock make sure the ignition is in the accessory or on position when being towed." Do you have to tow with the accessory switch turned on to not allow the steering wheel to lock? If so, how long before the battery goes low?

I'm not 100%, but there's typically a 4-pin connector for accessory power if you flat tow.
Maybe someone who knows more could confirm, but that's my current working theory.

What do I know?!?!?

Glassman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gen-1's could not be flat towed; something about their transfer case and diffs using clutches rather than a mechanical disconnect. I did try contacting Ford already, and at least through the avenues available to me (their helpline), they do not know :/

Incorrect, Gen1's were flat tow capable in 2012 I had one which I towed behind my camper. I am interested if Gen2's are also flat towed.

jrrhoad

Reaction score
Process to put it in neutral tow mode is a little tedious compared to the Jeep I came from but no issues pulling the Gen 2 @Glassman

bd263746bdcd52ade112705a539ba43b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk