Extended warranty- thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkfuel

Reaction score
Howdy folks- I'm new here but there's a lot of good dialog so I thought I'd ask.

I've located Raptors in my area with around 40-60k miles on them. My cursory review shows that there are normal "problems" that come up that aren't too expensive to fix but I also see folks with transmission problems which are expensive to repair outside of warranty.

Would you get a comprehensive warranty to cover an extra 5y/50kmiles for roughly $4k?

If not, do the "small" problems add up to said cost?

History: I had a Land Rover outside of warranty and spent ~$6k on transmission problems in the past and don't want to repeat that process!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm, 4000.00 locked in on a high interest term deposit or equivalent should net more savings over a 5 year period, just saying. Plus add on your deductible to that!

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one and consider it pre-paid maintenance.

Believe I paid about $1,800 for it back in DEC 2012, 7 year/100K, bumper to bumper, everything except wear & tear.

Already covered me a few times since factory warranty expired, saved me several hundred dollars.

OP
OP
J

jkfuel

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

I guess the big question is what tends to break down on these and does the cost to repair justify the upfront warranty costs?

I've heard iwe, fuse box, common issues aren't that cost prohibitive. Transmission issues though- yikes- outside of warranty!

Matt C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once i find my ride, i plan on getting a warranty as well. I figured it'd pay for itself if something really expensive broke.

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

I guess the big question is what tends to break down on these and does the cost to repair justify the upfront warranty costs?

I've heard iwe, fuse box, common issues aren't that cost prohibitive. Transmission issues though- yikes- outside of warranty!

My torque converter failed at 2 years/6,000 miles!! I couldn't believe that...when was the last time you heard of one of those failing that quickly (if ever)! It was covered with the original warranty, but I do have an extra 3 years extension too! On these newer vehicles with all of the crazy computer crap and expensive accessories, having one is good piece of mind!!

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 12 Raptor with 70k miles. I purchased a bumper to bumper extended warranty. Within two months, I've had the entire sunroof assembly, rear slider window, Vacuum lines for the 4wd, and new door latches all replaced. Warranty has almost already payed for itself.

SchultzLD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get it!

AC Compressor
U Joints
Drive Shaft
Drivers side Mirror
Spare tire assembly
Vanity mirrors both sides (TSB)

All in the last year.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang it, I hate to hear folks havin all this problems!!! I guess there are thousands doin great tho. I bought one on mine when I bought it new in 14, to many computers, screens, and electronics to not have. Remember that the price of the extended warranty is NOT set in stone, negotiate the price, many times they will price 150% what they can and will sell it for. Good Luck and Welcome to the fun.