Don't know what to do. Buy a 1st gen or wait for the 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loso

Reaction score
I'm new to trucks. Have always drove cars. Now I am tired of sitting so low and want to be up high. Every time I see a Raptor I cant help to stare at it. My problem is I know nothing about trucks. Nothing about V8's vs Eco boost. So I don't know if I should just buy now or wait to see if I like the 2nd gens. Anyone else have the same thoughts? Does anyone have an incite on why the 1st gen are going to be better then the 2nd gen? thanx

aschaeferusn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plan is to buy a 1st gen here in the next couple of months, see what the 2nd gen is like and possibly buy the 2nd or 3rd model year (or a used 2017) after theyre released.

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend you go to Enterprise rental car, rent a Ford F-150 and try it out for a weekend. If you've never driven trucks and know nothing about them, how do you know you'll like driving one? They drive very differently than cars.

Spend $200 on a rental car before you drop $60k on a truck you may not like.

Just my 2 cents.

If you decide to ignore this advice, then it doesn't matter whether you buy the current model or the next gen because you've never driven either and wouldn't feel the difference between a large-block V-8 and an EBV6. But you need to keep one thing in mind: you came to a Ford Raptor Forum where all the members have the current generation Raptor and all of them love their trucks - some a little too much. So take the advice with a grain of salt. I would just get the one you like more.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm new to trucks. Have always drove cars. Now I am tired of sitting so low and want to be up high. Every time I see a Raptor I cant help to stare at it. My problem is I know nothing about trucks. Nothing about V8's vs Eco boost. So I don't know if I should just buy now or wait to see if I like the 2nd gens. Anyone else have the same thoughts? Does anyone have an incite on why the 1st gen are going to be better then the 2nd gen? thanx

The Gen 2s won't be out for a year and a half...You may get hit by a bus next month...Don't wait.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend you go to Enterprise rental car, rent a Ford F-150 and try it out for a weekend. If you've never driven trucks and know nothing about them, how do you know you'll like driving one? They drive very differently than cars.

Spend $200 on a rental car before you drop $60k on a truck you may not like.

SOLID ADVICE!!

Rent a truck, borrow one from a buddy, go test drive a bunch at dealers.

A Raptor is a big investment for sure, go in informed.

I would go for a first Gen. You will be able to pick one up used for better money then trade it in on the GEN 2.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't wait. If you want a Raptor go buy one. Simple as that. If you don't like, I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it. I went from a Fiero (yep, that's right) to a full size pickup back in 97' without ever driving one first and have bought nothing but trucks since then.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even if you decide to get in a gen 1 Raptor and trade up later, i really dont think there will be a crazy price drop for the gen 1. Its still a Raptor with a big ole V8, i know there will be guys who will pay for the engine alone

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say that a stnadard F-150 does not feel anything like a Raptor! The Raptor is actually fun to drive... Find someone with a Raptor and ask to drive it, then compare that to a standard F-150. You will have no doubts after that.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score

You will have issues buying both right now.

New 2014 Raptors are being priced gouged to the tune of $80,000 in some markets. I don't know of anyone able to buy a 2014 without the ADP markup...

When the 2017's come out dealers will do the same being a new model that will be in demand.

Used 2013 and 2014 Raptors with low mileage are seeing big $$$ too.

Good news is that older Raptors with 40,000 to 50,000 miles seem to be priced OK. But if you don't turn your own wrench (as it appears in your case) it could get pricey if you need to do any work to the Raptors.

If you don't care about the size of the engine, it would appear the '17 will be better going by the specs. You will have 3.0's and more travel than the 1st gen.... 10-speed auto... newer electronic goodies inside and out.