Deal Breakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motomike

Reaction score
I have made an offer on a 2013 SCREW pending a weekend long test drive and I am looking on opinions on what would be a deal breaker for you as far as condition of the truck I have inspected everything I can think of and haven't found any major gouges or dents in the skid plates, no corrosion, no cracks, no leaks BUT, there is mud and brush packed everywhere..... in the bumper, in the skid plates and body. Would this be a deal breaker? I understand that this is a truck and all and that it's extremely rare to find one that hasn't been off road at all but I'm really on the fence if I am going to go through with the deal at this point. The other possible red flag is that at 30k miles it has new tires. When I sold my 2011 SCAB with 25k miles the tires had a lot of tread left. Am I just being over cautious here?

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the spacing between the cab and the bed? Even from the top to the bottom?

I wouldn't worry about mud too much. It's pretty easy to pack a good amount of mud in the nooks under these trucks without much effort.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's not hard to fill things with mud. You can go play for 5 minutes and the whole underside will be covered. Also with the tires, that sounds like my truck. My stock tires were shot with 30k miles. I don't rag my truck by any means. Plus there's a chance he just wanted to swap tires. Some people don't like the bfg KOs. I'd say if you're okay with the price, go for it!

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say buy it. I messed up by trading in the first raptor I had for a Shelby. Made a few payments on the Shelby and traded her in for a terrain I was just like you. I looks up and down on that truck. It had some oxidation on the cats but I purchased an extended warranty which was like 3k. Peace of mind and now I can't stop looking back at my truck since I've bought another

OP
OP
Motomike

Motomike

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words.... very good point on how easy it is to pack the underside of the truck with mud. RubyRed- I actually printed your post from that thread and took it with me to check out the truck yesterday- good stuff right there. The truck looks good otherwise- no cab dimples from the bed hitting it, frame looks straight, gap on the tailgate and bed look even. Price is reasonable- $49k. I have a feeling that after the weekend I won't want to give her back and will likely pull the trigger.

zsommer79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other possible red flag is that at 30k miles it has new tires. When I sold my 2011 SCAB with 25k miles the tires had a lot of tread left.

30k isn't too bad out of a set of the stock tires. I have mostly highway miles on my truck and at 17k I would say my tires are half worn. The scab you had is lighter too so that would help some on tire wear.

D

Deleted member 12951

Are you going to get it dirty, muddy or take it off-road? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

If its going to be only on the street, then you might want to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I have made an offer on a 2013 SCREW pending a weekend long test drive and I am looking on opinions on what would be a deal breaker for you as far as condition of the truck I have inspected everything I can think of and haven't found any major gouges or dents in the skid plates, no corrosion, no cracks, no leaks BUT, there is mud and brush packed everywhere..... in the bumper, in the skid plates and body. Would this be a deal breaker? I understand that this is a truck and all and that it's extremely rare to find one that hasn't been off road at all but I'm really on the fence if I am going to go through with the deal at this point. The other possible red flag is that at 30k miles it has new tires. When I sold my 2011 SCAB with 25k miles the tires had a lot of tread left. Am I just being over cautious here?

While the mud wouldn't be much of a concern for me, especially if you ever been on a smooth dirt road after rain when it gets muddy, that's no big deal.

However the idea that its extremely rare to find a Raptor that has not gone off-road is not exactly true... being generous only about 30% of Raptor owners go off-road, just a tick higher than other brands.

If you have time you most certainly can find a street queen that has never been off-road.

See if @Bulletnjm will sell you his black Raptor. His Raptor has never been off-road and he hires a flatbed tow truck to take him over puddles in the road.