Considering selling my 2012 F250 for 2013 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I would introduce myself.

January of this year I purchased my first every Truck/American auto, couldn't be happier with the purchase. I don't tow or haul, just always wanted a big truck and I think Ford has nailed it with both the Raptor and F250.

Truck is a weekend vehicle and absolutely no issues, love the F250, however, wifey doesn't like the stiff ride and I have a 160lbs dog that's killing my back to lift up to the back seats (he's not good with the ramp I bought).

Initially, I was comparing the Raptor and F250, it was agenizing, so now that the 2013 is out and I really like the upgrades and HID headlight look, I'm probably going to be purchasing a Raptor. Currently, I've invested close to $20,000 in upgrading my F250, from everything to sound system to upgraded shocks and lighting (20" LED Ridgid Industries) and replacment of all oil to Amsoil (picture of truck is stock)

Question, the only real problem I have with my F250, is, it's just too big for weekend driving, especially the parking and handling around town. I know the Raptor is wider, but it's not as long, nor as high and has a better turning ratio and overall, it just drives and handles better.

The F250 never saw the off road or snow, more than likely neither will the Raptor, but I'm a car nut and I've always had/have a sports car as my 3rd weekend driver (currently I have a 2006 MB SL65), so the Raptor really appeals to me from a power, sound and handling stand point. I look at the Raptor as the ultimate street truck that if Porsche were to reincarnate itself, it would probably come back as a Raptor!

Now that you have more background that you probably need, anyone on this forum use the Raptor as a weekend truck with mostly on-road use?

I've included a picture of my Truck and dog...

If so, feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Todd

Attachments

• Roscoe.jpg
    Roscoe.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Ford F250 113.jpg
    Ford F250 113.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 96

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, nice looking dog but man 160lbs, that's a big one! You are kind of in my boat I was in last yr. Bought an F150 Lariat in 2010 instead of Raptor. 2011 comes around and I just really wanted the Raptor so I traded it in and ordered a 2012 beast! I've had it for 7 months now and LOVE it! I've only been able to take it off-road a few times so it is kind of my weekend driver. So what questions do you have? It is wider, not sure if it is much shorter than F250, and it is a smooth ride.

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I guess I left that part out. I was wanting to know how the truck is as a casual driver around town, I'm assuming it's easier to navigate than my F250.

I'm working on deal now and will more than likely purchase the truck today, I'm at $200 under MSRP, they had it marked up by $10K. I'm also getting them to include the bed extender, which is the only option it doesn't have that I wanted (although I did like the interior blue lighting option). Total MSRP is just under $54K.

Todd

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2010 6.2L since they first rolled off the line. It is my only vehicle for daily driving, work and fun. I've put over 53K on it and haven't had any issues I didn't directly cause. I snapped the driveshaft, but we'll just call that "driver error"

As long as you're not a heavy trailer towing type, it's great. Don't get me wrong, it'll tow a toy hauler, but the suspension is much softer than your 250.

I average 13mpg (if I can keep my foot out of it.) The ride on the road is smooth and the steering is very responsive, especially for such a big truck, and it stays right on track (as long as you keep your sway bars). You'll never spill your coffee, believe that.

As far as parking, it's a truck. Sometimes it gets a little hairy and I usually park at the back of the lot to avoid dings, but the SCAB is no harder to park than a standard F150 and should be much easier than your current truck. I can't speak for the SCREW.

The only problem I really have is every ******* in a Dodge Ram wants to race.

EDIT: I'd recommend getting the midperch adjustment also. It's helps the ride and levels out the truck.

Last edited:

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a F250 Harley Edition and traded it for the 2013 Raptor and happy on all fronts!!.

Wifey hated the smell of diesel, the stiff ride and the behemoth of a truck it was to go shopping, or to simply go around. Now, she enjoys riding instead of offering that we take her car to go places.

Of note for that 160lbs child you have, the bed is actually higher on this truck then on my stock F250, so train the baby on that ramp (or get it to learn to use the built in step).

One more thing to share is that you DO NOT buy this truck for MPG. I am getting about the same or worst MPG than my diesel riding around town, even with being careful with the GO GO pedal!

It is a head turner and a hoot to drive. Imaging the fun of owning a "upgraded" Mustang GT in a truck form. Suspension is ridiculous, taking curves with minor body roll, and overtaking people because you CAN!

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Your ultimate street truck is a Ram SRT-10 or Lightning. This is the ultimate dirt truck.

But, I have had mine for over 2 years now and wouldn't trade it. (except when i almost did for an audi TTS but came to my senses) As my daily driver, its awesome!

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Love the truck as a DD. just took it on a 2400 mile road trip and love it. Just watch that 6.2, it almost got me in trouble when we finally got 30 miles from home... cop said I was doing 86. Funny thing was, for the previous 900 miles I was only 5 - 10 mph over the limit. So she can get away from you if your not paying attention.

The truck is very comfortable to drive.

Yukon Joe

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some enjoy it so much on the road, they can't keep from getting curious about all the hype and take it offroad... then they have such a blast they go on a Raptor Run... then are completely hooked and start in with the upgrades. Wait that's my story haha. Helps to have an understanding wife when the modding begins

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for a truck I shopped around looking at everything from GMC-Dodge-Ford-Chevy just to see what was out there I ended up like either f250 or the Raptor... I am 100 percent happy with the truck as a DD, parking can be a issue sometimes but I also won't cram myself in a spot... My dad drove my truck up from FL after I bought it and he loved it and is looking at getting one for himself!!

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet F250.

As both a Raptor/Dog owner all I will say is the following;

While the Raptor is truely an incredible truck, I beleive some of the issues you dont like about your current rig are not going to be any better with a Raptor, namely your Pup.

He is still going to struggle getting into the back seat of the truck.

I have two Rottweilers, so I know what a PITA it can be.