Considering Changing from a Jeep GC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
uncsjfu

uncsjfu

Reaction score
Local dealer in San Diego allows test drives. I think it it dealer dependent. Maybe try another dealership.

Definitely will, thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

That is not the same engine and the handling characteristics will be very different given the width, tires and suspension of the Raptor.

Understood, I just thought it was absurd they wouldn't let me test drive one. The closest they would let me get to was a regular F 150. They were like, "People who order them don't need to test drive and are willing to pay $7000 above sticker." The rep that told me the Raptor costs more than a GC SRT and turned bright red when I showed him the starting MSRP for the GC SRT vs. the Raptor (not getting into which is better, just simply it was a factually incorrect claim for him to make). My GF was looking at a Ford Explorer Sport but his attitude pretty much pissed both of us off and I have every intention of letting his manager know when they call me for a follow-up.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Test drove a regular F 150 with the new engine and transmission and was genuinely impressed by how well it handles and rides. I had heard that a lot of dealers were putting a premium on purchasing one but was surprised to hear that they would not let me test drive even after offering to let them run my credit to show how serious I was about purchasing one - is that normal? The Jeep dealer let me test drive the brand new GC SRT without a question (then again, I have purchased a total of three cars from them before).

The lots I have been to will let you test drive a Raptor. It would appear that ******* should let some folks test drive since it appears to be just sitting on his lot as a static display. Here is a buyer and you won't let him drive it and try to tell him it drives like a F 150- he is a ******* in many ways! Go to another dealership and then take your new Raptor for the ******* to see

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The lots I have been to will let you test drive a Raptor. It would appear that ******* should let some folks test drive since it appears to be just sitting on his lot as a static display. Here is a buyer and you won't let him drive it and try to tell him it drives like a F 150- he is a ******* in many ways! Go to another dealership and then take your new Raptor for the ******* to see

This

Theres a dealership near me with 3 17's with 15k markups that have been there going on 3 months now. Guess they're not flying off the lots like everyone says. I hope nobody pays that crazy "market adjustment" and they sit there and rot! Greedy ass dealers!!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am the original owner of a 2011 Raptor SCAB. It's been my daily driver throughout that time. @uncsjfu, here's what I've learned:
- It's a pleasure to drive. The wider track greatly enhances handling. It goes around a traffic circle like a sports car. (A heavy sports car, of course.) Out here in Nevada we have a lot of wind, and the NWS frequently posts Wind Advisories for high profile vehicles. The wind doesn't bother my Raptor at all.
- It's a capable vehicle in all weather. The Raptors 4x4 system is excellent on heavily snowed roads. It's no better than anything else on icy roads, of course, but it's the bomb on snow.
- It's an imposing vehicle. Northern Nevada is mining country and there are a lot of trucks and big vehicles on the road here. The Raptor commands respect in that kind of traffic.
- It'll do a lot. We keep a pellet stove burning about 5 months per year. I don't have pellets delivered. My Raptor hauls them just fine.
- It is not an economy car. My 6006 pound, 6.2L truck gets between 15.5 and 16.0 mpg, with the occasional 16.5 a possibility. No 3 ton vehicle does much better, but my old GMC Colorado with the 3.5L 5-cylinder got a consistent 24 mph. Could the GMC do what the Raptor can do? NO, of course not. There are always tradeoffs in vehicle selection. Is the tradeoff worth it? It sure is to me.

Now, before you go out and spend $50K of your hard-earned money, do some analytical reading here. Pay special attention to the litany of odd problems new owners of the 2017 GEN2 are having. Having absorbed that information you might well consider searching for a GEN1 in good condition.

OP
OP
uncsjfu

uncsjfu

Reaction score
@adeerchaser and @weimer: Thanks for letting me know, I'll try some other dealers. Actually found a private seller who has 1600 on one and he's selling at sticker because he just doesn't want it anymore... very tempting.
@Ruger: Fantastic, that all sounds great to hear as a daily driver. I looked for some used GEN1s but since I may drive it into the ground (I fell in love with my Wrangler and I'm never parting with that), I may want to fork over the money for a new one altogether. From looking on here the possible QC issues + the dealer markups (even on custom orders vs. those on the lot), I may just wait until the second year of the GEN2 (plus, it looks like I may be buying a bigger house first with my GF).

Thanks again, everyone, for the feedback.

kyson

Reaction score
I have a '15 GC SRT and will be replacing it with a recently ordered Raptor next month. The GC is a very nice vehicle (particularly the SRT); it's fast, nimble and easy to park in places my last F-150 was a pain. The Raptor is much larger, not nearly as fast or nimble but does many things better - simply because it's a truck.

These two vehicles as you know are really apples vs oranges. The SRT is a better daily run-around vehicle as it has a nicer interior, significantly more power and much better stereo. The Raptor has more useful (to me) interior space and much more outdoor recreation usefulness. I also think it will retain it's value a bit better and better fulfill the need I have for it. I have other niche vehicles to fill the faster than or classier than roles.

I would say as a primary DD, the GC is probably a better daily driver in the urban or mostly urban environment due to its size, economy and one person usefulness. But if your need includes hauling kayaks, dogs, gear or heading to the ranch or range - the Raptor will be a better choice and you'll live with the size difference.

As others have mentioned - Raptors are easier to test drive now. The first drive for me was meh compared to the GC because the Jeep is such a great driving vehicle. I drove one again a couple weeks later and paid less attention to whether the dash and doors were stitched leather and focused on what makes the Raptor a Raptor. I then placed the order as soon as I got back.

This is all subjective to your need, but hopefully this helps as I went through the same process though in late April and early May. IM me if you need any more specific observations and good luck with your choice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free