Close to buying my 1st Raptor but need advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maverick 73

Reaction score
I'm very close to buying my 1st Raptor. It's a 2013 model with 40k mileage. Well maintained and no accidents. Probably driven hard but still under warranty plus I can extend the factory warranty for another 3 year! The only thing holding me back is that there's some rust on the under part of the truck and on one of the rear wheel wells. I wanted advise on whether the rust will be an issue in the future? I am not willing to undercoat the bottom because that will reduce the resale value. Any advise on this will be highly appreciated!

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It won't reduce the value,there are products that don't color the undercarriage black. If you live in the snow belt, undercoat it if it shows rust. Get it done professionally. Ask for money off to have it done.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Undercoating when done correctly is not going to reduce the value of the truck. It will only benefit you in the long run. I had my previous truck done at a dodge dealership i do my business with. They used Mopar product.
Mostly make sure that the suspension is in good shape. Warranty will NOT cover the shocks and try to find out if they were rebuilt or replaced. If not factor $1000 to get them done through the exchange program.
Of course a set of tires will run you about $1200. Keep that in mind
Best of luck.

Last edited:

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is a street queen. Never seen beach and only in snow on vacation, then very little. I have a little rust on things and have for a long time. There are threads on here about rusting. I have not undercoated mine, but both above sound solid to me. If it is a solid truck, get it, they usually don't last long if a good price. You did not list the price and a link. Nobody here will jump on your deal, but if we can at least see ad, many times folks can weigh in on good and bad. If it falls thru there are 2 on lots near me. Good luck!

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the perception might be that the undercoat application would be to cover up excessive rust, rather than prevent excessive rusting. If applied properly, which means removing the surficial rust prior to applying, it can add value. I would document the underbody before, during, and after. That way if someone questions it later, you can show it was all on the up.

OP
OP
M

Maverick 73

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise. Unfortunately I have decided not to go ahead with the purchase of this Raptor. The Rust issue has me too worried. Plus the dealer here will undercoat the entire under body black! I plan to save some money and buy a new Raptor in 2 years time.