Car person looking at 2011 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just joined, but have wanted a raptor for a long time.

Long story short, found one close by and will hopefully be trading in my 2012 Audi S4 for a 4 door white Raptor with no decals and tastefully modded with lights and bumpers / catback roush exhaust.

Reading through reliability articles etc and looking for input on the TSBs that should have been addressed as well as recalls in this trucks past. It is super clean, and is a 2011 with 24k miles.

Any info on what to look for and longevity of this vehicle would be appreciated. I drive about 3k miles annually and this will majority see urban environments and occasional trips to Vermont / Maine.

Thanks in advance for any insights and advice you see fit!!!!

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy it. Should last you 20-30 years.

Are these that bulletproof? I daily a 99 4Runner now and am looking for essentially a pavement princess that I can thrash around when I am up north.

Anything in particular to look at??

BBQPorkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the 4Runner. Its too much truck for what you want to do. This isnt a backwoods mud truck. Oh and they love gas bout 80 to fill...

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the 4Runner. Its too much truck for what you want to do. This isnt a backwoods mud truck. Oh and they love gas bout 80 to fill...

I've actually toned it down from a lifted duramax to the Audi and now am looking to be back in a truck. Not too much truck by any means, I'm not looking for a backwoods mud beater and I prefer the ride qualities of the raptor.

4Runner is bulletproof but am looking to get down to one vehicle. No concerns with fuel

More interested in certain items to look out for when kicking the tires on this truck. Have read some threads to look for bed bang on the cab etc and suspension wear.

Nice to see this is an active and resourceful forum

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look for leaking shocks, and a leaking steering rack. Check the headliner for water stains (3rd brake light can leak). Otherwise, it's built for ripping it through rough terrain at high speed- unless the PO used it like that, it's basically been babied. Any F150 should easily make 250K miles with a few minor repairs along the way. Body rust is the biggest issue with longevity in salt areas. The bodies rust out around here before the drivetrain is worn out. Raptor specific OEM parts can be expensive and a lot are hard to find already, just FYI.

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for leaking shocks, and a leaking steering rack. Check the headliner for water stains (3rd brake light can leak). Otherwise, it's built for ripping it through rough terrain at high speed- unless the PO used it like that, it's basically been babied. Any F150 should easily make 250K miles with a few minor repairs along the way. Body rust is the biggest issue with longevity in salt areas. The bodies rust out around here before the drivetrain is worn out. Raptor specific OEM parts can be expensive and a lot are hard to find already, just FYI.

Thanks for the info. Any specific spots to look around the steering rack for leaks? Haven't gotten to the truck yet to poke around but will certainly be checking the shocks out etc as well.

What is the lifeing like on these fox components? How long before they would need a rebuild or replace? Truck only has 24k miles as I mentioned and from the looks of it has been babied.

Any examples of hard to find OEM parts??
Any drivetrain issues with these as far as the diff goes, tranny issues or speed sensors needing to be replaced? I've seen a few YouTube videos of transmission problems but most seem to be attributed to faulty speed sensors giving bad readings on the gauges.

Looking forward to checking this truck out and hopefully bringing it home.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome. I have a 2011 and the only problems I have had is I do have a programmer door motor for the ac that is ticking. the one I need is the drivers side lower. But I only have 18 k on mine. so buy the truck and enjoy it.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you are looking for a used one i would shoot for a 2013-2014 if you can. you will get better stuff overall for around the same price with mileage differences.

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are looking for a used one i would shoot for a 2013-2014 if you can. you will get better stuff overall for around the same price with mileage differences.

What are the main additions that the 13/14s have over the previous years? I honestly don't need anything crazy as long as it's a reliable solid truck. Vented / cooled seats would be nice but not a necessity.

I honestly sell my car(s) every two to three years depending on depreciation rates so a bit "older" one in great shape with very low miles for its year is an attractive move at this point.