5th wheel towing with a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Time2Fly

Reaction score
First, the Scab and the Screw have different tow weights, so which is it?
Second, what is the size of the fifth wheel you want to tow?

This is what I am trying to determine, which truck can pull how much of a 5th wheel. That will tell me how heavy of an RV I can buy.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Wrong truck for 5th wheel application. That's not what it was designed for. 8000lbs Screw is all it can handle safely.

It may not be what it was designed for, but it sounds like it can do it. Do it well, maybe not..

OP
OP
T

Time2Fly

Reaction score
Are there not different numbers for conventional towing verse 5th wheel towing?

For comparison the Sierra HD increases 3,500 lbs when going from conventional to 5th wheel.

"Trailer confidently with Sierra 2500 Denali HD: Maximum conventional trailering capacity of 14,500 lbs. Maximum fifth-wheel trailering capacity of 18,000 lbs. Maximum payload of 3,534 lbs."

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are there not different numbers for conventional towing verse 5th wheel towing?

For comparison the Sierra HD increases 3,500 lbs when going from conventional to 5th wheel.

"Trailer confidently with Sierra 2500 Denali HD: Maximum conventional trailering capacity of 14,500 lbs. Maximum fifth-wheel trailering capacity of 18,000 lbs. Maximum payload of 3,534 lbs."

Duuuuuuude. This is a Raptor. This isn't a fifth wheel towing vehicle at ALL.

No, just no.

You can bumper pull though.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be right over to test out that 1,500 lb hitch weight on your bumper :mexsmoke:

Still a whole lotta no on that one!
If you have a 1,500 lb hitch weight on an 8,000 pound trailer, you're doing it wrong.
The max PAYLOAD on the SuperCrew is a little over 1,000 pounds (including hitch weight).

OP
OP
T

Time2Fly

Reaction score
Still a whole lotta no on that one!
If you have a 1,500 lb hitch weight on an 8,000 pound trailer, you're doing it wrong.
The max PAYLOAD on the SuperCrew is a little over 1,000 pounds (including hitch weight).

I think you missed the sarcasm.. You referenced bumper pulling, which I took as a joke. Who bumper pulls anything....

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Prove us wrong, looks like you made up your mind. But that would be a very expensive mistake and very unsafe. Just post the results when you get that accomplished or not.
I have been in the car business for 16 years and anybody who has ever considered the fifth wheel bought a 2500 or 3500 series trucks, regular wheels or dually. That's the reality of things my friend.

There are guys who would put a plow on the 1500 series trucks which is a big no no. But they still do it on the trucks that can not handle it safely and long term without causing major front end problems.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you missed the sarcasm.. You referenced bumper pulling, which I took as a joke. Who bumper pulls anything....

Uhhh... people bumper tow all the time? I bumper pull a flatbed with my Jeep on it, I pull a trailer with snowmobiles, I pull my toy hauler, I flat tow my Jeep... shall I continue?

I'm of course referring to the actual tow package, not the bumper itself - though I didn't think I had to specify that to someone talking about a fifth wheel....