2017 Raptor "Dealer Markup"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've been driving fords since I was in highschool. My current ford is a 2006 Ranger. It's time for a change.

I live in Orange County, CA.

My wife and I were killing time and stopped by Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park and said we were looking for a Raptor. We test drove a white one with the 802 package and orange seats. I was sold. I told the salesman that we are in process of buying a house and won't be buying until it's done.

We never went into the "finance room" to talk about price, etc, but I noticed all the trucks had $12,500 "market adjustment" added to the price.
/
Fast forward a couple weeks, I'm still on schedule to close on the house in about two weeks from today.

So, last night I check out costcoauto.com because I got good feedback from friends and family. I was told the dealer didn't get my info, they had to wait for me to contact them (so I didn't get annoying phone calls from dealers). This morning I got a call and an email from the local Costco approved Ford Dealer (Caruso Ford in Long Beach) thanking me for my inquiry. The email said they have 2 raptors in stock and wanted to know when I can come see them. The email asked if I was aware of the dealer markup over MSRP.

I responded nearly immediately saying I have heard that some dealers are charging a markup on the Raptors but that I didn't really understand why there were markups on these particular trucks and asked if she had any insight on these markups.

Susan Henderson from Caruso Ford replied nearly immediately saying, "For the most part, the makrup is due to the limited allocation of these trucks." She went on to try to say that even used raptors sell for more than MSRP but I was in luck because the markup was reduced from $15k to $10k over MSRP. She said her best price is 10k over MSRP.

I haven't responded but I'm going to send her the link to the ford CEO saying in a press conference that everyone who wants a raptor will get a raptor...meaning there is not limited production and "limited allocation" is code for gouging customers because it's the first year of a new generation of Raptor.

What do you guys make of this? Obviously I'm going to tell this lady that her rationale for her markup is an "uninformed buyer fee" and go somewhere else. What do I do when I get somewhere else? I'm relatively young and I don't have really any experience buying cars so I'm not really sure how to go about this.

I'm not going to look anywhere for 2 weeks until my house closes. I intend to walk into other local dealers (one with 34 SCREW raptors in stock) and tell them that I'll buy now but I'm not paying any "market adjustments".

Do any of you guys have any insight on buying a 2017 raptor?

I also considered waiting until 2018s started getting delivered then go to dealers with 2017s and grind them on their price because I don't care if it's a 2017 or 2018.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're new here.

I know because you haven't even looked around. This topic's been covered and re-covered and continues to be covered.

Seek and ye shall find.

Welcome to the FRF

Where you at in The OC? I'm off the 57 near YL Blvd

Skyline

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buy outside california. Im in Socal and have an order for mine in Oklahoma. no dealers that I know of in CA are offering MRSP.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
I poked around on the site a little but to be honest I really don't have any experience buying cars and I just want an easy transaction where I walk in with some big checks and leave with a raptor.

I'm off the 91 and valley view at the far north end of OC.

Thanks for your help!

You're new here.

I know because you haven't even looked around. This topic's been covered and re-covered and continues to be covered.

Seek and ye shall find.

Welcome to the FRF

Where you at in The OC? I'm off the 57 near YL Blvd

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LIke they said^^^^ go on the internet and make a road trip out of it. You will find an out of state dealer that will sell at MSRP. Take your time and better off go with 2018 since its going to be second year production and hopefully with less gremlins. Best of luck with the new house and getting a Raptor.