2013 Ford Raptor SCREW purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueScapegoat

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2013 Raptor SVT in tuxedo black tomorrow.
It's at a CarMax, seems to be priced decently.
41,000 miles.
$44,000.
Fully loaded except for sunroof and front camera, as far as I can tell.
No graphics either, but I consider that a plus.
Also has the beadlock capable wheels, which is huge. I'll be utilizing those for sure.

I just got done training at my job and looking to reward myself a bit.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I daily drive an 05 Jeep Rubicon on 37s I did all the work to myself, am restoring a 91 Celica Alltrac, and have an 82 Wagoneer on the back burner. So I'm not afraid of owning and maintaining this truck out of warranty.

I need something to pull my Jeep out to Moab and to Johnson Valley for King of the Hammers next year. Also, this will be my new daily driver.

Seems like a good price for the market? I'm in the Twin Cities.

I'm going to inspect the truck thoroughly, but unless you know what to look for exactly it's easy to miss stuff.

-Shock guards/skid plates for impact damage
-Shocks leaking, bushing/mounts damaged
-Cab to bed gap even
-Cab dimples from bed rails
-Cab corners for rust
-Seats loose or rocking - Is this really a big deal? I'm not sure how they bolt in but I would think it would be an easy fix with a bit of thought and simple fabrication.
-Rear bump stop mounts straight
-Rear frame above axle straight, no impact damage
-I understand it's common for the seat heaters to go out, and it's an easy fix?

Anything else specific to look for?

Here's the truck

0Ol2dSW.png

And for good measure, here's my daily I'm looking to retire:

yXH1Jod.jpg

Last edited:

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Listen for clicking coming from the dash when you start it. Make sure the heater is on when you do. Blend door actuators are notorious. So are the rear window defrost.

OP
OP
B

BlueScapegoat

Reaction score
Blend door sounds like a pain to fix but cheap. Thanks for the heads up

Where do these trucks start to rust first? Any problem areas?

OP
OP
B

BlueScapegoat

Reaction score
Damn I'm not getting much feedback here.
Ok, looked at the truck. Combed it over.
The left rear leaf is bent, as pictured. It's pulling the left side of the axle forward about an inch and a half, the truck dog tracks bad. Otherwise I can find absolutely no signs of abuse or damage anywhere on the truck, and it's super clean. No reports of accidents on the history reports.

I'm wondering if this is from being rear ended, backing into something with the axle, or just axle wrap?

I had this truck transferred from another CarMax that did the initial inspection. When I started questioning management here they started getting pissed and said they'd figure it out, and call me back tomorrow to make it right.

I'm thinking new leafs on both sides and an alignment and it's probably fine. If I could convince them it needs shocks too, cool.
I'm guessing it's axle wrap, given 430 ft/lb, 4.10s, and 35s. Again, I'm new to Raptors though.

What do you guys think? If anybody's here

3Q7I5dR.jpg

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn I'm not getting much feedback here.
Ok, looked at the truck. Combed it over.
The left rear leaf is bent, as pictured. It's pulling the left side of the axle forward about an inch and a half, the truck dog tracks bad. Otherwise I can find absolutely no signs of abuse or damage anywhere on the truck, and it's super clean. No reports of accidents on the history reports.

I'm wondering if this is from being rear ended, backing into something with the axle, or just axle wrap?

I had this truck transferred from another CarMax that did the initial inspection. When I started questioning management here they started getting pissed and said they'd figure it out, and call me back tomorrow to make it right.

I'm thinking new leafs on both sides and an alignment and it's probably fine. If I could convince them it needs shocks too, cool.
I'm guessing it's axle wrap, given 430 ft/lb, 4.10s, and 35s. Again, I'm new to Raptors though.

What do you guys think? If anybody's here

3Q7I5dR.jpg

I’d pass on that...
I’m DFW Texas buy mine and drive her home
2013 superscrew oxwhite Graphics beadlocks moonroof bedliner tint roll-n-lock
Easy 52,500 miles still under power train warranty

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a link to my truck but even if you don't like it I wouldn't get the truck you posted pics of. Something is up with it.

OP
OP
B

BlueScapegoat

Reaction score
So one guy messages me their truck to buy then comments the same truck, and another guy says pass, buy mine instead.

Some community here. Anybody with input NOT selling a truck? Anybody without ulterior motive?

Last edited:

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are on a raptor forum looking for a raptor to buy. Guys who are members and been on here will know the trucks, flaws etc. Why get on a raptor forum asking about a random raptor that is missing options from a random carmax when the for sale section has plenty of clean raptors in all price ranges and then complain when owners and members are showing your their trucks for sale or even telling you not to buy the piece of junk you sent pics of. Good luck and I'm sure carmax will know more then all of us many owners who have owned raptors since 2010 and are trying to help you get the most truck for your money.

Yup we are no help

OP
OP
B

BlueScapegoat

Reaction score
You are on a raptor forum looking for a raptor to buy. Guys who are members and been on here will know the trucks, flaws etc. Why get on a raptor forum asking about a random raptor that is missing options from a random carmax when the for sale section has plenty of clean raptors in all price ranges and then complain when owners and members are showing your their trucks for sale or even telling you not to buy the piece of junk you sent pics of. Good luck and I'm sure carmax will know more then all of us many owners who have owned raptors since 2010 and are trying to help you get the most truck for your money.

Yup we are no help

Lol

I don't trust CarMax at all, they're just like every other dealer. I never said I trust CarMax. But this Raptor, in the year and color and options I want, is 20 miles from my house. ABQ is a little further.

I've been talking to several mechanics I know personally that say this is not abnormal for these trucks. They could be wrong. I figured I'd ask the people on here that know best to substantiate or invalidate what I'm being told.

I guess I was just expecting feedback from more people, but I really didn't post with much notice.

Yes, it is suspect that the first and only replies I get are "nope, but buy mine."

I'm about as inclined to buy this Raptor as I am a modified one from across the country. Which is to say, not very.

So "something is up with" this truck.
Please tell me what caused this, cause that would help a lot

Last edited: