2012 Raptor vs. 2013+ Raptor with HID's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Greetings FRF,

So I am in the market for a possible new Raptor or maybe a 2013 with low mileage to replace my 2006 Nissan Titan (LE, Crew Cab, Off-Road & Big Tow) and I have a question about the headlights.

How are the 2012 standard headlights? I have seen a couple of 2012 Raptors I like but I want HID's. I have also found a new 2014 Raptor that only has the 800A package and no HID's which I like but I'm concerned about the standard lights.

My Titan has great standard headlights. The better half has a Audi A4 Cabriolet and the standard headlights are great as well. My daily driver has horrible headlights and I swore never again!

How are the standard headlights vs. the HID's on the Raptor?

Plan B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No comparison IMO. Projectors were among the first mods I did to my 2012. Not only do they perform better, but also look much better on the front of the truck. Keep in mind that you can slap projectors on any year (they are not cheap though), so don't let that be the deciding factor for which year/option you go with.

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 with standard lights and now I have a 2014 with HID's. The difference is almost night and day. The HID's are AWESOME and the standard lights suck. If you end up with a 2012, plan on upgrading your lights right away, or get a 40" light bar (that's what I did)

Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, how to answer your question....the standard lights suck!

OP, are you planning on buying additional lighting?

I am maybe the only person here who disagrees with the above statement. The 2012 OEM's are not nearly as bright as the 2013+ OEM HID's. I know because I purchased the 2014 OEM HID's and kept them on for two days, then switched back. The problem for me was the complete lack of peripheral vision from the OEM HID's. I really noticed the lack of peripheral on a dark dirt road - making a sharp turn at low speed was a leap of faith - I felt like a horse with blinders on. I can solve the 2014 HID issue I have by doing one or some combination of the below:

1. Spend some money and have Dawson upgrade the 2014 HID's with the EVO 50 watt set up, which will give me the 170 degrees of peripheral I think I need on a dark. Doing this will mean I won't have to use my Rigid E series 40 inch lightbar, I use it all the time with my 2012 OEM set up.
2. Get either Rigid D2 ambers and whites to fill in the two front bumper holes - so 2 pairs or 4 lights. This costs a fair amount more than number 1 above.
3. Get two Whelen ambers (or whites) and put these on either side of the front license plate and done. From what I read, two Whalens are about equivalent to four D2's, or close enough anyways. This costs more than number 1 above
4. Sell my brand new Rigid lightbar, and use the money to partially offset the cost of one of the new 40 inch Whalen Continuum series offroad lightbars. But having a lightbar with the EVO 50's seems to be belt and suspenders, so option 1 is the cheapest and most efficient way to solve my issue (which no one else here has BTW)

I am very focused on the lack of peripheral when using the OEM HID's as compared to the OEM 2012's. Many here are not simply because they have additional lighting, be it a 2012 OEM headlight with lightbars and Rigids, or the 2014 HID with the same.

But I would not pass up on the better deal simply because the truck does not have the 2014 HID's - but that is only my opinion. But if you do get the truck with 2014 HID's I would suggest getting my option 2 or 3 above to solve the peripheral light issue, which as I have said, is more of a concern than the lack output on the 2012 OEM lights.

Last edited:

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can Retrofit the 2012 halogens to better than the factory '13 HID's for the same money. I have a 2012 and the first mod I did was to have Dawson retrofit the lights with a set of LS460 Projectors w/CBI bulbs and 50W ballasts. Super WIDE bright low beams and excellent high beams.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HIDs could be retrofitted easily so that's not a big issue...You could also add some LEDs bars...

I would go for at least a 2013 in order to have the latest MyTouch...Maybe not the biggest point for you bit it will make a difference on resale IMO...

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard headlights suck, as everyone has said. I just put the OEM HID's on my 11 on Wednesday and love them. The swap took about twenty minutes and was 100% worth the money. Changes the whole look of the truck and they are very good at night for sure.