2012 or 2017 raptor decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LastLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know that feeling of regret you get after getting rid of something that you should have kept. Yeah, that one. I have carried that around ever since i sold my 2014 raptor.

I have been floundering over getting back into a truck but its not as easy of a decision as I expected. Values are still holding good on the GEN 1 trucks, no one knows exactly what a GEN 2 will costs yet. I don't think anyone will know much about this GEN2 truck and its capabilities until they finally start hitting the streets.

I have been floundering over jumping into a low mileage 2012 (10k miles) or riding the storm out until that GEN2 gets available. I am not concerned about v6 vs v8 , aluminum vs steel, it may never even get off roaded in my case. I just like the truck a lot and want one.

So I sit and constantly think if I want to put $50k into a 2012 low mileage local truck or hang tight and wait on seeing what the 2017/18 offers.

Its driving me nuts trying to get to a point where i pull the trigger.

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 will always be there so I would wait if you are undecided.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd put a deposit down on a 17, in your case. Most deposits are refundable if the deal doesn't close (dealers discretion).

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice is to wait for at least 6-8 months after the 2017 is out. It has a new first release of the 10 speed transmission. If its anything like my 2010, no way would I want it. I loved my first Raptor but I hated the transmission! That is the main reason I traded it in for the 2012 I have now and the transmission is perfect

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tad OT. Bought a 13 Sport Explorer for the wife. That 3.5TT ain't bad. Don't mind driving her truck around for errands.
Turbos kick in quick.

That being said, if you can hold out for another year, maybe try that option. By then, any bugs with the 17's should be known and if the Gen 1's do drop in value, you could find one for cheaper.

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tad OT. Bought a 13 Sport Explorer for the wife. That 3.5TT ain't bad. Don't mind driving her truck around for errands.
Turbos kick in quick.

That being said, if you can hold out for another year, maybe try that option. By then, any bugs with the 17's should be known and if the Gen 1's do drop in value, you could find one for cheaper.

My wife just bought a 14 explorer sport over the weekend as well.

The ecoboost motor is legit. It was extremely nice in my old Tremor.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My wife just bought a 14 explorer sport over the weekend as well.

The ecoboost motor is legit. It was extremely nice in my old Tremor.

Ha, congrats!

Coming from the 13 Edge Sport, it's a nice upgrade for her. I like it cause it can be modded lol.

I came in with low expectations with the exhaust note, but it actually sounded decent.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole motor thing goes without saying, but I still gotta, an ecoboost over a 6.2 really??!!! The other part is you can drive a Gen 1 and know what you are getting. The Gen 2, well, it is just a guess. Just my 2 cents.