2010 vs 2011 vs 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rycast

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I had a 2010 Raptor that I got a good deal on... but it had 4 owners before me, and I think it was a lemon. Either that or it was just beat to hell. I changed the starter, lead frame sensor, tire pressure sensors, third brake light, and IWEs - all due to starting issues, warning lights, and 4x4 issues. I spent thousands in repairs, and it felt like they just kept coming.

I traded it in a few days ago... MAJOR REGRET.

So yeah, now I want to get another Raptor.

I'm looking at high-mileage 2011s or 2012s. All I can afford. I've found a good deal on a 2011. Does it have major changes compared the 2010? This one does have a moon roof, which worries me. I've heard they leak a lot.

Did they fix any of those issues I had on the 2010? Like the electrical problems due to the third brake light, the IWEs getting screwed up, weird tire pressure sensor problems, etc... Thanks in advance.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can find a decent 12’ get that one. If it’s loaded it will have a few extra bells and whistles. My 12’ has never had an issue with the moonroof. That being said, if any truck is beat to shit, your probably going to find some issues being a secondary/third owner.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was in the same boat, this guide was extremely helpful. Unfortunately those issues you mentioned, along with fuse 27, rocker panel rust especially in northern climates, rear window defrosters causing back windows to blow out, and a handful of other gremlins are going to be potential problems on pretty much all Gen 1's, the more miles/abuse the more probability. BUT I don't think that's necessarily going to be an issue with EVERY truck either. I have no doubt you can find a better one than you had, just be patient and go over potential trucks with a fine tooth comb, you know what to look for :boxed:

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've found a good 2012 but it's pricier than the 2011. It's also a SCREW instead of a SCAB. My 2010 was a SCAB. Is there any difference in fuel economy? I was getting 13 city and 15 highway on my 2010 with the 6.2L...

I'd prefer a SCREW for passengers, but I need to save as much gas money as I can.

Looks like the 2011 has a 110V outlet... is that in the bed like in some Tacomas?

Awesome guide, thanks for the link!

donh

Reaction score
I have a 2014 SCREW and love the extra space + the 36 gallon gas tank. I can't imagine gas mileage would be all that different. My daily commute is 20 miles total in stop-an-go traffic and I get about 12 MPG, on longer run highway driving I get 13-15, and on a 6500 mile road trip I took last year averaged about 15 MPG. That said, if I got 8 MPG I wouldn't care as I didn't buy the thing to conserve fuel. :)

BTW, checkout CarMax, they get Raptor's all the time and will even ship one to your location for a fee. Pretty good warranty too. Good luck.

Adam Ratatat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the CARMAX approach, they cover all items for 30 days after purchase and with your previous experience you could probably identify issues fast. I got a 2010 with 50K miles from CARMAX and had them replace the factory Sony speaker (it was blown) and the rest of the truck runs like a champ. I am getting ready to replace the shocks today and the rotors and pads next week. Good luck on finding your next truck!

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've found a good 2012 but it's pricier than the 2011. It's also a SCREW instead of a SCAB. My 2010 was a SCAB. Is there any difference in fuel economy? I was getting 13 city and 15 highway on my 2010 with the 6.2L...

I'd prefer a SCREW for passengers, but I need to save as much gas money as I can.

Looks like the 2011 has a 110V outlet... is that in the bed like in some Tacomas?

Awesome guide, thanks for the link!

No problem. 110V outlet lives on the back of the center console.

I have a 2014 SCREW and love the extra space + the 36 gallon gas tank. I can't imagine gas mileage would be all that different. My daily commute is 20 miles total in stop-an-go traffic and I get about 12 MPG, on longer run highway driving I get 13-15, and on a 6500 mile road trip I took last year averaged about 15 MPG. That said, if I got 8 MPG I wouldn't care as I didn't buy the thing to conserve fuel. :)

BTW, checkout CarMax, they get Raptor's all the time and will even ship one to your location for a fee. Pretty good warranty too. Good luck.

Ditto on the space & fuel capacity, main reasons I got a SCREW. Ditto on the fuel mileage as well, 12-13 on average on mine, and Rycast you will likely see zero difference between that '12 and your old '10. Good call on CarMax.

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just found my dream truck... that $849 transfer fee is kinda steep though:

https://www.carmax.com/car/15178748

I'm gonna keep looking around but Carmax has some great Raptors for sale!

Wonder why the hood on this one is black? Was that a color scheme for 2011 or was it painted? Looks badass either way.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just found my dream truck... that $849 transfer fee is kinda steep though:

https://www.carmax.com/car/15178748

I'm gonna keep looking around but Carmax has some great Raptors for sale!

Wonder why the hood on this one is black? Was that a color scheme for 2011 or was it painted? Looks badass either way.

Hard to tell, but the hood might be a vinyl wrap. The aftermarket bedside graphics look like they came from a vendor on this site.

Carmax hooked that truck up with some sweet highway tires!