2010 Scab 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quaylefarmer

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a 2010 Scab 5.4 (33k mikes) through a trade on another vehicle.

I build Jeeps and am an "Offroad Enthusiast"

I have a chance to take this truck on trade and want to know more about it.

What should I be looking out for?

What is it really worth?

How does it compare to later models (other than motor)?

Any serious issues with this vintage?

Thanks for your help!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
What whtrapta said.

I'd also just give the entire truck a general look around, it'll be easy to see what kind of life it has led just from the way the undercarriage looks. When I bought my '10 5.4 I went over that sucker with a fine tooth comb because of how these trucks get beat on sometimes.

The 5.4 is still a very fun motor for this truck and I've honestly never felt underpowered with it.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 2010 5.4L Scab... Was a great truck put 41k miles on it, love the color, the ride, the feel, the stance, people asking tons of questions but, I HATED THE TRANSMISSION!!! Traded it in for a 2012 and there is a night and day difference between the transmission...

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
There are mixed reviews on transmissions. I have had mine reset at least 6 times to relearn how I drive. After 2 years I finally got it right. It pulls hard, torque converter locks in soon and very firm, almost feels like a gear shift. I'm very happy with it now.

As for worth, IDK. bluebook one with everything that is on it and see.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are getting a great truck! Just get a mechanic to do a 50 point inspection, get dealer service history, make sure frame is straight, and get a CarFax to be sure it hasn't been wrecked. Take it for a test drive... You're gonna love it!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight.

What's it worth?

I should explain the trans issue... When you 1/2-3/4 the throttle around 35-40 mph the downshift is horrible sometimes feels like the ass end is going to fall out of the truck... I had the truck in 5 times, 3 times for a reflash and the other 2 had the megatronics replaced... It never got any better and it was intermittent like 4 outa 10 times it would and then sometimes it would act like that 10 times in a row... That was my only complaint about the early trucks. cause this 2012 feel great with no issues... It also was worse in colder weather...

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
I should explain the trans issue... When you 1/2-3/4 the throttle around 35-40 mph the downshift is horrible sometimes feels like the ass end is going to fall out of the truck... I had the truck in 5 times, 3 times for a reflash and the other 2 had the megatronics replaced... It never got any better and it was intermittent like 4 outa 10 times it would and then sometimes it would act like that 10 times in a row... That was my only complaint about the early trucks. cause this 2012 feel great with no issues... It also was worse in colder weather...

Hock did you have an aftermarket tune or keep it stock ?

Price ? Whatever you can pull off but 35k to 42k might be the range depending on options ?
I have a 5.4 and enjoy it I don't hard off road it so I do not miss any power. It's mostly a street queen/daily driver for me

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hock did you have an aftermarket tune or keep it stock ?

Price ? Whatever you can pull off but 35k to 42k might be the range depending on options ?
I have a 5.4 and enjoy it I don't hard off road it so I do not miss any power. It's mostly a street queen/daily driver for me

I ran it both ways. 30k without tune and 11k with tune.. It was the same from day one... It had to be internals cause if it was just a strategy change then the reflash should have taken care of it... This is where I miss working at Ford. When I was in calibration I could go talk to the guys in Livonia and find out the real scoop... ha ha ha