WTF?! Transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatGuy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am loosing my damn mind anymore. Having a hell of a transmission issue. So body shop to dealership, back home back to dealership. The truck would be crusing along no problem then boom tranny temp skyrockets to the red.

Changed the fluid more than I changed the oil since owing it. New tranny filter, new cooler lines, Motorcraft LV fluid and it's properly filled and same thing. Driving back home today cause traffic yesterday and was going great till last two hours of the drive. Today limping into a rest stop the evil wrenck showed up and it shifted into third gear spedo went deat and didn't read anything. Popped off the line right at the cooler since it was just a clamp and there was nothing coming out the cooler.

I'm just at a loss cause the body shop isn't claimin fault, dealership is gon na be expensive. Read about the TSB but doesn't explain the temps. What actually opens up the cooler lines in the trans? I vaguely read about the thermostat in the trans, is it mechanical electrical?

windsor

Reaction score
Did you have body work done recently? If so, was it front end work? if front end work was done I have seen guys put plugs in the line to prevent them from dripping while they are working on them, then forget to take the plug out. which causes no flow through the cooler and can cause an over temp. I would pull both cooler lines off and inspect closely and make sure the line is not plugged. The one I have seen pushed the plug all the way until it came to crimp in the line which went from rubber to metal.

There is a themro-by pass valve in the trans which is mechanical. Seen a few issues with them, but not that many.

There also might be a wire that got chaffed(rubbing on a metal surface which causes the circuit to act like the trans is over or under temp).

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
ThatGuy88

ThatGuy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Windsor I'm gonna check the lines again and see what I can turn up. That thermo bypass, that has me a little interested because would make sense while it would run cool then spike. It's not a chafed wire because when the gauge spikes I crawl under and shoot it with a in fared thermometer and it's 2010+