Won't shift out of 4 low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went playing on some steep fire roads that had been narrowed down by atvs and very rutted out. I used 4 low. Shifted in just fine.

I got back down and tried to shift out of 4 low, nothing, with the message "CHECK 4x4 (wrench symbol)"

I have been having problems going into 4wd when the drivetrain gets hot, with the same warning message. This is the first problem with disengaging 4wd.

About 9 miles home in low range. It is limited to just under 60mph at around 4500rpm. Had to get home because the wifes soap was starting soon.

OP
OP
phydough

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still in now. Did try over and over. Did do neutral. Did try forward and back. It has been parked 2 hours now and has been raining cats, dogs and horses, out the door now I go to try again.

OP
OP
phydough

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It shifted out of 4 low just fine.

NEW PROBLEM. While going in and out, the transfer case went into neutral, well thats what it felt and sounded like, no forward or backward, putting it into park made the parking pawl howl. This was with "SHIFT DELAYED PULL FORWARD" message. Then after working the 4x4 switch several times I got it into forward but not reverse. I drove it around a few trees and now have reverse and am in 2wd.

Shift motor bad? Anything else associated with shifting the t-case? T-case internals?

OP
OP
phydough

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now, it shifts in and out fine. BUT, when in 4wd (high or low) it shows the message "CHECK 4x4 (wrench symbol)" the T-case and front axle are locked in and the "4x4 HIGH" and "4x4 LOW" indicators are lit.

DTF-DEUCHER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started acting weird like that...
I ended up blowing up the t case !!!
Get it fixed man, the more u wait the more time ur spending waiting for something to happen and that's time away from tearing her up off road !!