Whining noise coming from something belt driven

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have heard the same noise all winter. It's been a nice audible thermometer, telling me how cold it is outside. Below +40 it whines, in 20* increments colder , the pitch gets higher.

I have a hard time grasping this an idler issue, but would like to hear more results. My money is still on the pump itself. Really surprised Canadian or other norther state folks havnt experienced this in years past and come to find the solution.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my vw days on cold starts there was a secondary air pump that would push more air into the intake. I wonder if ford uses something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Or if it's the vacuum systems trying to disengage the the iwe's. I notice mine clunk when it's cold out after sitting over night. Thinking that's a more likely route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If you've already been to your dealership and you're still experiencing this noise, PM me your info so I can look into additional ways to help. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. If you haven't been to the dealer yet, go ahead and make an appointment; be sure to let us know how things go. If you need my help after your diagnosis, just give me a shout. I'm here to do what I can to help.

Crystal

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks Crystal.

I was in to the dealer, but was unable to hear it on account for warm weather that day of course. I'll be recording a video next time.

If it makes any difference, the frequency doesn't increase as the revs increase, meaning it doesn't sound like its rotational. It does get slightly louder though. I'll keep it outside this weekend and get it recorded.

andy7818

Reaction score
resurrecting an old thread here

Any more updates on this situation? I just purchased a 2013 Raptor and it is making the same noise as in the two previously posted videos. The noise seems to go away after the truck warms up for a few minutes. I'm concerned.

ps I live in North Dakota and it has been unbelievably cold for the past few days. Like -45 f windchill cold.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
resurrecting an old thread here

Any more updates on this situation? I just purchased a 2013 Raptor and it is making the same noise as in the two previously posted videos. The noise seems to go away after the truck warms up for a few minutes. I'm concerned.

ps I live in North Dakota and it has been unbelievably cold for the past few days. Like -45 f windchill cold.

Idler pulley

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Huck. It's most likely the idler pulley. Could be power steering pump, but if it goes away as it warms up, it's the idler.

The 6.2L engine has two idler pulleys and one belt tensioner pulley. In 77k miles I've had the tensioner replaced twice and idler pulley closest to it.

These items will be covered under the 60k mile drive train warranty.

Donate to Avery

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=801448

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has made the same noise for a year. The dealer has replaced the pulleys, the alternator, and still no luck. I've pulled the belt off, and the noise is gone- so it appears to be belt driven. It happens regardless of temp and ac being on/off. Turning the wheel has no effect on the noise, so it does not appear to be the power steering.
Ford now thinks it's the water pump pulley.

MasterKeebs

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is still listening to this thread, Does anyone have the Torque Spec for the Idler Pulley Bolts? Or is German Torque Spec (good-n-tight) good enough?