Whining noise coming from something belt driven

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Could be PS, you can tell by moving the wheel back and fourth, if the tone of the whine changes than its PS. I also had an idler that starting making noise and had some play. You can see it when the truck's running if it's the idler, it will walk a little. Easy fix, save the old one as a spare.

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So they changed belt and PS unit still whining every so often. They put it on their internal forum and were told it could be unit or the rack. Since I haven't done any Redneck with Paycheck type jumps lately, I doubt it could be the rack. :)

But now they have to do some procedure to check. Will let you know how it all works out.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be the AC, when you have the defrost on, it does not matter what the temp is set to, 60 or 90 the AC comes on. Try turning the AC on and off at least you can elimate that as a cause.

Last edited:

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So here is what they found from techs at SVT: they removed screen from Rack & Pinion system and found it clogged with shmegma (thats a NYism for dirt). They cleaned screen and flushed PS fluid until it ran clean. This was supposedly what was causing the whine. We shall see.

Now I will say the coditions at Havoc in the Hills were VERY dusty - I have already packed dust masks for next year.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine goes into the dealer monday, To have multiple brake system, hill descent, etc faults. I am also going to have this checked out. My whine sounds like a SC and cuts out at 2500 rpm.

Sparky

Reaction score
does it sound like this? Ford told me this is normal??? I think it's my alt but don't know for sure...tough to pinpoint it...

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep..sounds pretty close. When does it happen? WHen engine is cold? Have you tried moving steering wheel when its happening? DOes the sound change?