Whine

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Helibike

Reaction score
That is super interesting and I will keep my eyes open for PS hose leaks.

I changed my serpentine yesterday and the whine was still there so I stethoscoped around the front of the engine and idlers and one idler was making the noise form the bearing. $20 OEM part. :)

Funny because when it would whine and you turn the steering it would get louder. It would also change tone with RPM. So I was sure it was PS pump noise.

I ordered it from RockAuto and I have a couple days to wait so I just pulled a seal on the OE idler and packed in some general purpose grease and reinstalled the seal. Noise is gone.

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is super interesting and I will keep my eyes open for PS hose leaks.

I changed my serpentine yesterday and the whine was still there so I stethoscoped around the front of the engine and idlers and one idler was making the noise form the bearing. $20 OEM part. :)

Funny because when it would whine and you turn the steering it would get louder. It would also change tone with RPM. So I was sure it was PS pump noise.

I ordered it from RockAuto and I have a couple days to wait so I just pulled a seal on the OE idler and packed in some general purpose grease and reinstalled the seal. Noise is gone.

Interesting discovery. I'll scope mine this weekend to see if it might actually be an idler instead of the pump.

fruth04

Reaction score
My powersteering has replaced at 9k, I'm at 29k right now and it started squealing again, tonight I had the stink that I had last time the powersteering went out. It is leaking out of 2 different hoses that I can see, it is low in the reservoir. Did my dealer F- this up the first time or am I going to have to do this every 9-20k? I actually still have warranty.... believe it or not, but not for long. I'm not really impressed with the situation. I shouldn't HAVE to resort to aftermarket to get this right.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

My powersteering has replaced at 9k, I'm at 29k right now and it started squealing again, tonight I had the stink that I had last time the powersteering went out. It is leaking out of 2 different hoses that I can see, it is low in the reservoir. Did my dealer F- this up the first time or am I going to have to do this every 9-20k? I actually still have warranty.... believe it or not, but not for long. I'm not really impressed with the situation. I shouldn't HAVE to resort to aftermarket to get this right.

Even though the situation is extremely aggravating, take the truck into the dealership and get it fixed. With it clearly leaking, the dealership should fix it with no questions asked.

I was pretty aggravated having to spend two extra days in Denver to get it solved, but once I got back on the road I was quickly reminded of why I drive a Raptor (smooth ride/shifting with no struggle going through steep grades in high elevations). I fully agree that we shouldn't have to turn to aftermarket parts to get something right. Yet, the Raptor does have some weak spots mainly IWE issues coupled with some power steering and a few others, but no vehicle is infallible. The powertrain of Gen 1's is built extremely well, so if you can get over some weak points by upgrading to some aftermarket parts you have a vehicle that will last a very long time.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was assuming mine could be ps pump as well since I had a line go, but need to check out the idler. Alot easier/cheaper fix.