Whine

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 12' has made "the whine" for almost 5 years whenever temperatures drop below 0* upon first daily startup...even though it's garage kept. Goes away in about 10 seconds.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

Update

When I first made this post the issue would only occur when I would start the vehicle. Once the vehicle warmed up the sound would go away. Now all that has changed.

I was driving across Wyoming today after leaving Jackson and I hit -35 degrees on the highway by Laramie. The noise is constant and sounds severe when turning the wheel (way louder then a supercharger) and I've lost my power steering. I made it to Fort Collins and I'm taking it into the Ford dealership first thing in the morning. The good news is that the noise is constant so the dealership can't make some excuse saying nothing registered on their system when they tried to check it!

Thanks for all the input! I will update this again when it is solved but it should be the power steering pump.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I first made this post the issue would only occur when I would start the vehicle. Once the vehicle warmed up the sound would go away. Now all that has changed.

I was driving across Wyoming today after leaving Jackson and I hit -35 degrees on the highway by Laramie. The noise is constant and sounds severe when turning the wheel (way louder then a supercharger) and I've lost my power steering. I made it to Fort Collins and I'm taking it into the Ford dealership first thing in the morning. The good news is that the noise is constant so the dealership can't make some excuse saying nothing registered on their system when they tried to check it!

Thanks for all the input! I will update this again when it is solved but it should be the power steering pump.
Make sure they inspect the hoses. You could have a small leak on the high pressure hose.
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine started small when it got very cold and has also gotten worse. It now does it consistently even in the 50 degree weather I had this week. I think I'll try some stop leak and order a new pump soon to have it ready to replace!

2013 6.2
83,*** miles

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

Problem solved

So the hose had a leak, which caused it to lose pressure. As a result, the pump could not function. The service manager said he hasn't seen the hose go out like that on the 6.2's. Whether that is true or not I don't know. Either way I hope this can help any other Raptor owners out there.

I'll still be looking to upgrade to an aftermarket power steering in the months ahead just for peace of mind.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the hose had a leak, which caused it to lose pressure. As a result, the pump could not function. The service manager said he hasn't seen the hose go out like that on the 6.2's. Whether that is true or not I don't know. Either way I hope this can help any other Raptor owners out there.

I'll still be looking to upgrade to an aftermarket power steering in the months ahead just for peace of mind.
Like I said, the hoses leak. I've had two. And know a bunch more that have had leaks on the 6.2. @OrangeAddict, @upscrazy8, @Chris@FreedomMotorsports just a quickly name a few.
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It might be true that that particular service manager has never seen it, but it does happen and more often than any of us would like. The leak usually starts where the crimped end is crimped to the rubber on the high pressure line.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

Like I said, the hoses leak. Over had two. And know a bunch more that have had leaks on the 6.2. @OrangeAddict, @upscrazy8, @Chris@FreedomMotorsports just a quickly name a few.
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE) | Run Raptor Run
( * Y * )

Okay I was under the impression that the majority of the power steering issues was derived from the the actual pump going out. I thought the pump was the main reason guys upgraded to an aftermarket pump.

@Chris@FreedomMotorsports

What you previously described is what they found on mine. So maybe he's never seen other Raptor's have that issue, but clearly there are several of us who have had that issue.