Where to pass wires from engine bay to glove box/Cabin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently installing a set of front parking sensors on my Raptor, four sensors on the front bumper, command module under the hood near the AUX wires, and the last thing is a buzzer to indicate the distance from nearby obstacles, and here is the question : Where can I pass the wires from the engine bay trough the firewall ? I'm looking to set it in the glove box, there's a lot of wire harnesses down there and I don't want to make a mistake...

Will post pics of the set up when finished

OP
OP
Fb73

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended routing the wires behind the passenger wheel well to acces the cabin close some holes near the running boards, the buzzer is located behind the glove box...Easiest way I could find...

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The large Firewall Grommets... (1) either cut the nipple with a box-cutter (in an x or + pattern) or (2) to keep from cutting you can pull the bottom of the grommet out, route the wire on the bottom of the rubber, and then push the grommet back into the firewall. I had to do the last option on one of my wires because it had a large RCA end and wouldn't push thru my + pattern cut.

The driver's side is easier to access both the engine and the cabin sides of the grommet.

If you're routing to the glovebox, the passenger's side grommet would provide the shortest run, although you won't see the grommet on the cabin side because of the dash. From the engine compartment you can push the wires thru a couple of feet and eventually you should see the wire poke out behind the dash somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fb73

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side fire-wall there is a large rubber plug that goes directly into the cab, you just have to make a slice in it and your done.

The large Firewall Grommets...either cut the nipple with a box-cutter (in an x or + pattern), or to keep from cutting you can pull the grommet out, route the wire on the bottom of the rubber, and then push the grommet back into the firewall. I had to do the last option on one of my wires because it had a large RCA end. The driver's side is easier to access on both sides of the grommet, but if you're routing to the glovebox, the passenger's side would provide the shortest run.

Well I noticed the passenger grommet, but was a little scared to pull it out or cut anything and take the risk to damage the harness...

I need to clean my set up anf will show you pics, but my Raptor is running on both Gas and LPG and the whole LPG system takes a lot of space under the hood, so actually the access to these grommets is almost impossible...

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I noticed the passenger grommet, but was a little scared to pull it out or cut anything and take the risk to damage the harness...

I need to clean my set up anf will show you pics, but my Raptor is running on both Gas and LPG and the whole LPG system takes a lot of space under the hood, so actually the access to these grommets is almost impossible...

There's a rubber dome (the nipple we speak of) that you can cut into if you can reach it. If that doesn't work, try pulling the bottom of the grommet out (you don't need to pull the entire grommet out, but no harm if you do). That should provide enough of an opening to push your wire thru, then push/work the grommet back into place.

Again, the driver's side grommet is accessible on the cabin side behind the Parking Brake and is easier to work with overall.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not run wires by pushing the grommet out. what happens is that the wires are now resting against a metal edge and will eventually wear through the insulation. also you now have made a hole into you cab where moisture can get in causing smelly carpet. i will try to get a video up later.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another tip for any wiring job in a tight spot, run an additional pull string with the wire and leave it there in case you need to pull more wires through later.