Wheel hop in 4H at slow speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> What do I use in light snow / rain / ice when I don’t want to be in 2WD.. <<<
Use the gray matter between your ears and slow the damn truck down.
No amount of technology can substitute for Common Sense.

>>> Any problem with running 4H at speeds from 0-90 on dry / wet winter roads? Conditions change frequently. <<<
When rule #2 fails, see RULE #1!
I've seen my fair share of wrecks ( Fatal and otherwise ) out on the roads because we don't think, and think that we are invincible.
Going fast in a straight line is very easy!
Steering, and or stopping said vehicle is a different matter.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any problem with running 4H at speeds from 0-90 on dry / wet winter roads? Conditions change frequently. Assuming there is no issue with frequent on the fly shifts from 2H to 4H to avoid binding etc?

This is all new to me, looking to run the truck properly when it gets messy, pardon my stupidity!

Have you tried weather mode? That might be better suited for what you are asking the truck to do.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any problem with running 4H at speeds from 0-90 on dry / wet winter roads? Conditions change frequently. Assuming there is no issue with frequent on the fly shifts from 2H to 4H to avoid binding etc?

This is all new to me, looking to run the truck properly when it gets messy, pardon my stupidity!

Dude, RTFM! In the time you've spent here asking dumb questions you could've opened up your owners manual or gone online to find out how to operate your Raptor.

Gen1 does not have AWD (4A as it's called on the Gen2). 4H should only be used when there are traction issues otherwise you'll get the drivetrain binding that you're experiencing.

If you want to "run the truck properly" RTFM and follow it.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chances of you actually breaking something in the 4wd system by running in mixed conditions is slim to none. Just know that when it is bucking like that, you are binding up the system. You should avoid this binding because eventually something other than the tires may break loose to compensate.

Otherwise, I have been running 4wd vehicles for over three decades now, on and off road for hundreds of thousands of miles and I have never broken a 4wd driveline. They are tougher than you think, usually it is the tires that let go first, just do not make a habit of driving around in 4wd in the dry and you will be fine.

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, RTFM! In the time you've spent here asking dumb questions you could've opened up your owners manual or gone online to find out how to operate your Raptor.

Gen1 does not have AWD (4A as it's called on the Gen2). 4H should only be used when there are traction issues otherwise you'll get the drivetrain binding that you're experiencing.

If you want to "run the truck properly" RTFM and follow it.

Last I checked, I am online looking to engage other Raptor owners on the way they run their trucks in bad weather. I’m well aware of vehicle control and have no problems driving this thing in any circumstance.

Figured it was an easy way to reach out and gather some info from other owners. And in the amount of time I’ve spent “asking dumb questions” I have packed and left the state for work travel for two weeks, I don’t have much time to sit around and read a manual but I appreciate your suggestion.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, I am online looking to engage other Raptor owners on the way they run their trucks in bad weather. I’m well aware of vehicle control and have no problems driving this thing in any circumstance.

Figured it was an easy way to reach out and gather some info from other owners. And in the amount of time I’ve spent “asking dumb questions” I have packed and left the state for work travel for two weeks, I don’t have much time to sit around and read a manual but I appreciate your suggestion.

Hopefully you took your manual with you on your business trip because you clearly need to find the time to read it. Furthermore if you spend any time on this forum "engaging " raptor owners you could have easily anticipated these types of responses. It's perfectly understandable to and appropriate to criticize any individual who purchases any technologically laden piece of equipment without any understanding of it , doesn't read the included manual, then proceeds to ask truly ridiculous questions on the internet...

Congratulations, you've been "engaged "
Sincerely, raptor owners.

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> I don’t have much time to sit around and read a manual <<<
How did you find time to be on the Forum?

Technology is a wonderful thing, figured I’d embrace the power of the internet while commuting rather than thumb through a manual that wasn’t in my possession. Valid question, however!

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Hopefully you took your manual with you on your business trip because you clearly need to find the time to read it. Furthermore if you spend any time on this forum "engaging " raptor owners you could have easily anticipated these types of responses. It's perfectly understandable to and appropriate to criticize any individual who purchases any technologically laden piece of equipment without any understanding of it , doesn't read the included manual, then proceeds to ask truly ridiculous questions on the internet...

Congratulations, you've been "engaged "
Sincerely, raptor owners.

Hah, always has to be a few of you flame throwers doesn’t there? I hope you feel good attempting to criticize someone asking a valid question on a resourceful website.

I’ve got a lot more important concepts to be well versed in than a switch on my dash board. I appreciate your true concern for my knowledge base though.

To those who found the ability to poinently answer my “ridiculous question”, thank you. To the handful of e-thugs looking to lambast me, **** off.

Mods - I am all set here, appreciate the input but this thread can be closed if needed.