Wheel hop in 4H at slow speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just threw my truck in 4H for ***** and gigs as it’s raining and wanted to test it out before winter arrives.

I noticed that at very low speeds when taking a right or left handed turn the truck will slow down as if being forced to by gearing. When trying to make a turn from a dead stop the front wheels would actually bite or hop a bit as well.

I’ve read to only use 4WD when necessary, but this does not happen on my 4Runner.

Looking for some input on wether or not to be concerned about the hubs or if this is normal at all... engages fine at any speed and feels fine in straight lines. I’ve read about a potential for vacuum issues to arise.

Any input or thoughts appreciated before I dig deeper into this

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4high is for off-road or super slippery like lots of snow... it’s too grippy still in the rain so your wheels are “hoping” cause they are trying to spin at the same speed while your turning ... use 4a for rain if you must or keep using 4h on the road without lots of snow and ruin your 4wd system

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood on 4H being used in the actually bad stuff, I guess if anything I am impressed with the bite the system has.

I’ll flip through my books when I get home but how do I engage 4A? Basically looking for the setting I should be using for daily driving / winter / crappy road situations that I can leave on and not worry about...

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a gen 1 there is no 4a if have a gen 2 it says 4a on the knob. So if gen 1 only use 4h on snow covered roads

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an equivalent to 4A on my gen 1?

Under the assumption 2h is not the same as 4A. What do I use in light snow / rain / ice when I don’t want to be in 2WD..

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gen1 Raptor has a traditional part time 4wd system that locks front and rear for a 50/50 torque split when engaged. It is not designed to be used unless it is slippery, I can't imagine using it for rain, just snow, gravel, dirt.

It is perfectly normal for the truck to hop, all part time trucks do this or have a failed 4wd system. This means your system is working and the one in your 4runner may have been the defective one, or it had a full time 4wd provision.

You will have to drive this truck, not just let some system think for you. You may have to run the knob on the dash some to adjust for conditions, 2H or 4H. Sorry for the sarcasm but most people that buy a Raptor understand 4wd fundamentals, just a little surprised by the line of questions.

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gen1 Raptor has a traditional part time 4wd system that locks front and rear for a 50/50 torque split when engaged. It is not designed to be used unless it is slippery, I can't imagine using it for rain, just snow, gravel, dirt.

It is perfectly normal for the truck to hop, all part time trucks do this or have a failed 4wd system. This means your system is working and the one in your 4runner may have been the defective one, or it had a full time 4wd provision.

You will have to drive this truck, not just let some system think for you. You may have to run the knob on the dash some to adjust for conditions, 2H or 4H. Sorry for the sarcasm but most people that buy a Raptor understand 4wd fundamentals, just a little surprised by the line of questions.

The 4Runner has a full time 4WD function once engaged, hence my line of questions being a bit disconcerting. Simply don’t want to destroy anything by driving in 4H when not necessary.

No problems driving the truck in a more analog function in 2H. I didn’t see a need for it today in the rain but wanted to play around while I was out. Only drove in 4H on wet road for about 10 feet.

Guess I will play with the system and learn thresholds for engaging 4H once the snow begins to fall

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winter driving, city or highway icy/wet patches I’ve always used 4H. You quickly get in the habit of shifting to 2H for any tighter turns. You will take out your front u-joints if you let it bind and hop like that.

This is one of the reasons I went to a 150 this time so I get could 4A. (Coming from 4wd 2500’s)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winter driving, city or highway icy/wet patches I’ve always used 4H. You quickly get in the habit of shifting to 2H for any tighter turns. You will take out your front u-joints if you let it bind and hop like that.

This is one of the reasons I went to a 150 this time so I get could 4A. (Coming from 4wd 2500’s)

Any problem with running 4H at speeds from 0-90 on dry / wet winter roads? Conditions change frequently. Assuming there is no issue with frequent on the fly shifts from 2H to 4H to avoid binding etc?

This is all new to me, looking to run the truck properly when it gets messy, pardon my stupidity!

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any problem with running 4H at speeds from 0-90 on dry / wet winter roads? Conditions change frequently. Assuming there is no issue with frequent on the fly shifts from 2H to 4H to avoid binding etc?

This is all new to me, looking to run the truck properly when it gets messy, pardon my stupidity!

I don’t know specifically for Ford, so get others input as well.

I had always been hesitant with my Ram2500 4wd’s, but on the advice of others ran it on mainly dry with icy patch winter roads for many years with no problems whatsoever. Way safer and no problems!!