Water

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was involved in a flood /accident. This resulted with water in the cab just below where the dash starts. I know... thats a lot of water. Truck has a hydrolocked motor, water in tank/fuel system, and interior has been gutted. Everything is being replaced under insurance. Company appraisal says value is 37000 and repairs will be less than 15000. Anyway my questions are can the electronic locking diffefential be damaged by water inclusion even if is not driven and fluid is replaced? Repairs include a new 6.2 longblock with intake, interior carpet/padding, new body control module, new amp for radio, starter, others as well. What interior or exterior parts should I be worried about after repairs are complete and the truck is running again? Obviously, these are significant repairs being made after significant damage. Water is horrible especially on the inside. I also realize that none of you can actually see/work on it so that makes it tough. Just looking for suggestions for what to look for or be aware of. Any help is appreciated. 2010 6.2 SCAB

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No way. Your engine swap is going to be $9k by itself. That's a total loss and if they say otherwise they're stupid. The amplifier is over a grand. I have the invoices for a lot of the stuff you'll have replaced. The fuse box assembly in the passenger kick panel is about $600 plus anything it screwed up. Let's put it this way, I had $21k in damage from my water incident and it was no where near as bad as yours.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way. Your engine swap is going to be $9k by itself. That's a total loss and if they say otherwise they're stupid. The amplifier is over a grand. I have the invoices for a lot of the stuff you'll have replaced. The fuse box assembly in the passenger kick panel is about $600 plus anything it screwed up. Let's put it this way, I had $21k in damage from my water incident and it was no where near as bad as yours.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Stupid or not its happening. New motor is installed, fuel system has been flushed ,and new carpet and pad is in. Thanks for the fast reply though. Any insights regarding the original questions? Would you be willing to let me know what you had replaced/repaired so I can compare/contrast with my invoices?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stupid or not its happening. New motor is installed, fuel system has been flushed ,and new carpet and pad is in. Thanks for the fast reply though. Any insights regarding the original questions? Would you be willing to let me know what you had replaced/repaired so I can compare/contrast with my invoices?

Well my invoices will be slightly varying because my dealer was punking my insurance company for every penny they could. A lot of things were replaced trying to resolve individual issues. I will pull my invoices out and see what all they replaced. Take it or leave but I would get that thing running and cleaned up then dump it. You will be chasing down issues for years after this.

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my invoices will be slightly varying because my dealer was punking my insurance company for every penny they could. A lot of things were replaced trying to resolve individual issues. I will pull my invoices out and see what all they replaced. Take it or leave but I would get that thing running and cleaned up then dump it. You will be chasing down issues for years after this.

I have no doubt that you're right about that. Water is the worst. Definitely be interested to see what you had replaced though. Can't imagine resale value not taking a big hit on this one. Feel free to send a PM if it's easier. No matter what thanks for the feedback.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be nervous about the electrical system and all associated wiring harnesses that were not replaced after the repairs (because it sounds like 99% of it was underneath water!).

YMMV

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be nervous about the electrical system and all associated wiring harnesses that were not replaced after the repairs (because it sounds like 99% of it was underneath water!).

YMMV

Frankly, I'm worried about a lot of things! Just hoping wben I get it back that I can spend some time trying to make things go wrong prior to finalizing the claim. Most likely I will leave the claim open as long as humanly possible. Most likely about 6 months. Guess we'll see Wednesday. Spoke with the shop today and will have it back then.

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

So here is an update for anyone who may be interested. Claim is still ongoing but after 3 months got my truck back. Long story short make sure you pick a quality shop to do repairs. Anyway at this point we have a new 6.2 motor, trans with 20,000 miles, new bcm, new amps for radio, new guage cluster, flushed differentials, flushed transfer case, and a huge number of hours invested in disassembly cleaning and reassembly with dialectic grease. Total cost of repairs at this point... $20,000. Still have minor body work to complete, heated seat repair, and TPMS fault. This is just a taste of everything that has been done. Will post final lists of everything when claim is finalized. Basically this truck has been disassembled and rebuilt, with a huge list of replacement parts along the way, at a local Ford dealership in the last 30 days. Insurance company clearly should have done a total loss but here we are. Truck is currently running great and all work is covered not only by the claim but also by ford warranties due to all parts being Ford OEM. Still bave 30,000 miles on powertrain warranty as well. Yes, this is now a flood vehicle, but I am honestly very confident in the repairs and warranty coverages. So there it is. Let the break in burnouts commence.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear that this is working out in your favor. I would ask the question from your insurance company that if anything should fail resulting from this incident down the road, if they will honor it. The gremlins may start coming out this winter?

I would most definitely get underneath and coat everything you can with a rust inhibitor like Amzoil MPHD. Get in all the nooks and crannies. Little things like the spare tire winch may need some further attention. What about the cab mounts/vibration dampeners?

I guess the list could go on and on, but getting under there and just looking at all the places water could get will help down the road.

Good luck with the rehab!!!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear its all going really good at this point. I would drive it as much as possible at this point. Did the shop pull the door panels off? If not and you are planning on keeping the truck, I would lube up everything inside there (motors, guides, etc).