Warning about rear window defrosters!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorhternILRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can count me in as a member of the shattered rear glass club. Also happened during a cold snap. Driver side fixed portion of the glass for me.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just based on what i have seen due to the many insurance companies i used to deal with. on a side note, mine shattered too, but that was due to jumping the truck and bottoming out

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it happen on my 2011 F150. Dealt with Crystal on f150forum and went to two different dealerships. Printed out the massive thread from that forum and brought it with me. I wound up getting it covered under warranty.

jgwoody

Reaction score
Had this happen to me this morning :( Got into truck, turned on rear defroster, drove 5 minutes to work. Halfway there I noticed the rear defroster light on dash was turned off and wouldnt turn back on. Got out, started to walk into office and heard a loud POP. Driver side rear glass shattered, but still intact thank god.

Has anyone found a decent priced solution to this? Is it possible to replace just the ONE piece of glass, as safelite quotes you all 3 pieces of glass. I would love to install the one piece myself and have it professionally tinted, and leave the rear defrosters unplugged from now on all the glass. Don't need this to happen again.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why just replace one piece? Do you not have glass coverage on your insurance? They don't ding you for glass claims AFAIK.

jgwoody

Reaction score
Not sure about my insurance... I.E. rates going up or deductible required. They were going to be my last resort. Only one piece shattered (driver side) so no need to replace all 3 if I pay out of pocket. Just depends on cost of glass vs insurance deductible I guess.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm saying nearly all insurance companies have no deductible on glass coverage. It depends on the company and state, but I pay about $20 a year for glass coverage and there is no deductible, and it's not a "claim" that would drive up your rates.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can't replace the one piece...I tried that route. They order it as one part, and replace it as one part. Since it's a known issue, at least get Ford involved to document it. Maybe you help yourself, maybe you add to the list of people that have had this happen. Either way, worth a phone call.