Warning about rear window defrosters!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Rig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know that a Buddy of mines back window shattered from his rear window defroster.

Up here In the Northern part of the US When it gets really cold outside this has been a common problem happening.
He said his shattered when it was 5 degrees outside.

I have since turned off my Rear window defroster as it was set up to come on in my settings with the remote start.

Just a heads up.

Tina :)

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not the first time I have heard of this happening with our Raptors.

Thanks for the heads-up OP.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i am assuming this a f150 wide issue not exclusive to the raptor? is ford doing anything for you're buddy to fix this, cause i dont remember seeing a warning that if its to cold to not use the factory equipped rear defroster.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had it once happen (obviously not on a Raptor) with my front windshield on a cold, foggy day over South Pass. Not shattered but a loud crack! Not much choice because it was freezing like mad on the window.

OP
OP
Big Rig

Big Rig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has a FX4 and the dealership hes dealing with are being a pain about, that dealership has a reputation for that, told him to go to a different one :-/

i am assuming this a f150 wide issue not exclusive to the raptor? is ford doing anything for you're buddy to fix this, cause i dont remember seeing a warning that if its to cold to not use the factory equipped rear defroster.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

The guy in the link BKiggins posted is from Stafford, VA..dont you live in VA.?? :p
Exploding rear window - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans ^^^^ a few posts up

I'd say you live somewhere too cold. Lol

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
extreme temp changes can cause the glass to crack or shatter on rare occasions. but most of the time its due to small scratches or chips in the window

Cummins_Bred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to a friend of mine's ford windstar did that while we were driving down the road. It scared the shit out of us, thought someone chucked a baseball or tire iron at it. Pulled over, and never found a cause. Guy who replaced the glass said extreme temp changes or moisture in small scratches and cracks make it worse. We'd just left the car wash