Upgrading stock OEM trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I researched the coolers pretty thoroughly and there are several coolers with more rows and the exact core size, they all have completely different outlets and outlet locations. Tim

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read earlier in this thread that the super duty had a 9 row. I am going to talk with some shops to see if they can graft two 6 row dorman coolers together

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I got both coolers today. Technically I think the finned one is a heat exchanger. I installed the Dorman and is was a 15 minute job. Has a slight gap between the tab that holds it down . I should have left the top hose long and it would have help pressure down ward . I ordered a new hose and I will replace it full length to solve that . Other than that pretty clean and looks factory. Tim
Tim, how big of a pain in the rear was it to check the fluid level after you installed the cooler? I know the dip stick / fill port is up in a tight spot.

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard . I added two coolers and one holds 1.3 extra quarts . So when I have the truck running and filled it back up you can't shut it off with the dip stick out or fluid will weep back out the port . So put the dip stick back in then shut the truck off. It really is not hard to access because the raptors sit so high. Tim

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not hard . I added two coolers and one holds 1.3 extra quarts . So when I have the truck running and filled it back up you can't shut it off with the dip stick out or fluid will weep back out the port . So put the dip stick back in then shut the truck off. It really is not hard to access because the raptors sit so high. Tim

Agreed. I've checked mine twice this way. I use a line wrench to be sure not to slip off and round the plug. It also helps to loosen it then start the truck with your remote start (if you have it). This keeps you from accidentally hitting a hot exhaust pipe.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing extremely helpful to report, but I thought this would be beneficial to you guys mainly because it indicates flow direction.

Attachments

• 6R80E_aux1.jpg
    6R80E_aux1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 337
  • 6R80E_aux2.png
    6R80E_aux2.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 196

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, the fluid level should be checked when the transmission is at normal operating temperature (193-215ºF).

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Adding Additional Transmission Fluid
NOTE: To get an accurate transmission fluid level reading the engine should be idling (600-750 rpm) in PARK.

1.Install the Transmission Fluid Fill Tube into the transmission fluid fill hole.

2.Fill the Transporter Fluid Evacuator/Injector with approximately 0.47L (1 pt) of transmission fluid.

3.Hang the Transporter Fluid Evacuator/Injector under the vehicle, upright and close to the transmission.

4.Connect the Transporter Fluid Evacuator/Injector and Transmission Fluid Fill Tube.
•Connect the open end of the fluid hose from the Transporter Fluid Evacuator/Injector onto the Transmission Fluid Fill Tube from the transmission case.

5.Use a Rubber Tip Air Nozzle to apply a maximum of 206.85 kPa (30 psi) to the open end of the vacuum/pressure hose from the Transporter Fluid Evacuator/Injector. Transmission fluid will immediately start flowing out of the Transporter Fluid Evacuator/Injector into the transmission.

6.NOTE: Do not overfill the transmission. The transmission fluid level must be at the upper level of the dotted mark.

Reinstall the transmission fluid level indicator only back into the transmission fluid fill plug hole to check the transmission fluid level. Repeat this until a consistent reading is established.

7.NOTE: The transmission fluid level indicator has 2 areas for the fluid level, a crosshatched (labeled A) area and a dotted (labeled B) area. Use the dotted (labeled B) area when checking the transmission fluid level. The correct transmission fluid level is at the upper level of the dotted marks on the transmission fluid level indicator.

Using the scan tool, verify that the TFT is between 91ºC-102ºC (195ºF-215ºF). The transmission fluid level must be at the upper level of the dotted (B) mark.

8.NOTE: If the transmission fluid is over full, follow the steps for Removing Transmission Fluid in this procedure.

Install the transmission fluid fill plug.
•Tighten to 35 Nm (26 lb-ft).

Attachments

• 6r80E_fill.jpg
    6r80E_fill.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 231