Upgrading stock OEM trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We use the CBR mini oil cooler in our transmission cooler kit. We also use a painless wiring kit as a part of the system. The difference in price is the addition of having a bolt on bracket and all the necessary components to make an easy, clean installation.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Other than the brackets and hoses what is the difference between SDHQ's cooler and the CBR mini cooler (other than price)?

Oil Coolers

Fans? Not saying it is the best solution, only one I could find when I typed it in when I did a Google hunt for oil and trans cooler..

GoMuscles

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I am talking about with the stock cooler.

raptcooler.jpg

Any ideas on sourcing the cooler core ?

I can't believe a bigger cooler doesn't fit here... Seriously WTF. If Ford doesn't make it I'm surprised someone else doesn't. I'd manufacture them and make a killing if I could. Who wouldn't want an easy plug and play larger transmission cooler?

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

I just went and checked my wife's 2012 Expedition with the HD tow package has the same tiny cooler too!

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

This is exactly what my wife has and Apparently the expedition "heavy duty auxiliary transmission cooler" isn't different than any other Expedition or F-150. Her last complete stripper XL Expedition had the same cooler too.

%2520Shot%25202014-04-01%2520at%25207.15.36%2520PM.png

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock transmisson cooler is a 4-circuit cooler. It appears that the Heavy Duty Payload Package that's available on some other model F-150 trucks includes a 9-circuit transmission cooler. I'm pretty sure these come on the HD 7-lug wheeled trucks.

I'll see if I can find a part number for this cooler tomorrow. Send me a PM to remind me if I don't post back.

paj1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe a bigger cooler doesn't fit here... Seriously WTF. If Ford doesn't make it I'm surprised someone else doesn't. I'd manufacture them and make a killing if I could. Who wouldn't want an easy plug and play larger transmission cooler?

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

I just went and checked my wife's 2012 Expedition with the HD tow package has the same tiny cooler too!

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

This is exactly what my wife has and Apparently the expedition "heavy duty auxiliary transmission cooler" isn't different than any other Expedition or F-150. Her last complete stripper XL Expedition had the same cooler too.

%2520Shot%25202014-04-01%2520at%25207.15.36%2520PM.png

there looks to be a number of really good reasonably priced options out there, now that I know what to look for. I will rocking a new option from RPG at TRR. will see how that goes. Sorry but not a lot of information available yet until TRR :)...

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm still fairly certain that the 2009-2014 truck equipped with the heavy duty tow package (7-lug) have a 9-row cooler, but I haven't found a part number yet... still looking. If anyone knows of one of these 7-lug trucks, send me the VIN and it'll be easier to find the part number for the cooler.

By the way, in addition to the liquid-to-air auxiliary cooler that we're discussing in this thread, our trucks all have a circuit in the radiator that's a liquid-to-liquid cooler. I know our trucks have a larger radiator than some other F-150s, so we probably have a larger transmission circuit within it. Has anyone experienced high transmission temperatures to justify a larger liquid-to-air aux cooler?

ATTACHED PHOTOS: (All photos have a liquid-to-liquid circuit in the radiator.)
1 = No aux cooler
2 = Stock Raptor - 4 row aux cooler
3 = HD Tow? - 9 row aux cooler

Attachments

• trans_cooler_none.jpg
    trans_cooler_none.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 398
  • trans_cooler_small.jpg
    trans_cooler_small.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 431
  • trans_cooler.png
    trans_cooler.png