Upfitter #1 doesn't work under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I did a search and couldn't find the same issue as mine so here it is. A quick history, I've had switch #1 hooked up with Rigid dually fog light kit then to 4 inch Rigid bars and later to Vision-X 4.5 light cannons and never had an issue. Today I received a 30 inch light bar installed it and hooked it up to switch#1. Everything worked fine so I moved other lights to 2,3 and 4 up fitters. I went to turn on switch 1 to aim light and nothing. I checked fuse and relay and even switched them around from 1 and 2, still 1 doesn't work. All lights work on rest of upfitters. I put a voltage meter on #1 wire switch wire in engine compartment and have 10.9 volts with engine off and 11.90 when running but as soon as I hook up any light voltage drops to 4.3 volts. Any thoughts as to why? I've checked all grounds and as I stated earlier all lights work when connected to other switches. Thanks for y'all's help.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You did not specify how you hooked it up (solder, butt splice), sounds like you have high resistance in your connection.

OP
OP
Raven13

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had soldered it but cut wires to hook light up to switch 2. I crimped a butt connecter when I tried a different light just to see if it makes a difference and it didn't.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
connection type shouldnt matter much at this moment, but it sounds like it could be the relay. i have had instances where the relay passed voltage, but once something was connected, the relay would fail causing minimal voltage to pass through. also could be a short in the line somewhere

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is the relay contacts are bad (excessive resistance), which explains the low voltage.

OP
OP
Raven13

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I switched relays from #1 and #2 and even tried a brand new relay and it still doesn't change anything. It's just odd how it worked at first and then quit. I hate electrical gremlins!!!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
trace the wiring bro, especially where you are doing the connections for some rubbing, sounds like a short to me.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes sir, that's my next step. I hate electrical gremlins!!!
I work on electrical all day, when there is a short like that, it's usually rubbing somewhere close to where you were working. If you are electrical savy, you can disconnect the wire under the glovebox and under the hood and see if that wire is bad first .

OP
OP
Raven13

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I work on electrical all day, when there is a short like that, it's usually rubbing somewhere close to where you were working. If you are electrical savy, you can disconnect the wire under the glovebox and under the hood and see if that wire is bad first .
Ok thanks, not sure I'm savvy at anything! Lol