TSB update completed I think.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I know this is not your favorite subject FSM hahaha, and that it has been spoken about a lot but my question is....I recently brought my truck into the dealership to have the latest TSB 10-12-4 5.4L 3V and 6R80 transmission done, or at least I believe they did it not sure. I came to a stop yesterday and I felt that little bump again like someone bumped me from behind.It's only been a little over a week since it's been completed. Should I wait longer before thinking about anything? Was wondering maybe they just reset the adaptive learning tables or whatever its called, again and that's it.

Is there any way of checking to see if the lastest update was in fact completed?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
While we're waiting for FSM to respond I can tell you that since I had the update done that I no longer have a harsh 2-1 downshift like I did before but I do get a bit of a "surge" right as I am stopping. No harsh thump like before but more like a smooth nudge or push. Hope this helps.

dbmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the trans goes down shift as you stop. It may be learning still. depends how you are driving too.

OP
OP
IRONMAN

IRONMAN

Reaction score
What I don't like is it learns how you drive style wise, but one day I may drive it like Mario Andretti and the other like an old lady on her way to Sunday mass.
So which one will it learn?
I figured it might still be learning but hoped that the update would eliminate
that getting rear ended feeling, if it doesn't oh well just thought I'd ask.
It's not a massive bump but it's still there.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is not your favorite subject FSM hahaha, and that it has been spoken about a lot but my question is....I recently brought my truck into the dealership to have the latest TSB 10-12-4 5.4L 3V and 6R80 transmission done, or at least I believe they did it not sure. I came to a stop yesterday and I felt that little bump again like someone bumped me from behind.It's only been a little over a week since it's been completed. Should I wait longer before thinking about anything? Was wondering maybe they just reset the adaptive learning tables or whatever its called, again and that's it.

Is there any way of checking to see if the lastest update was in fact completed?

First of all IRONMAN, thank you for the question and actually this is one of my favorite subjects.

Let's start by addressing the TSB that you mentioned which is a reprogram of the PCM/TCM to address a harsh downshift above 40 mph......only. It does not address a 2-1 downshift bump at low speed.

There is a SSM that covers the 2-1 coasting downshift "bump" which simply states for vehicles that experience this, it may be significantly improved by performing the adaptive drive cycle. My suspicion is that the Dealer performed the TSB and nothing else. BIRD, in your case, the Dealer may have performed the TSB, cleared the adaptive trans shift tables, and then performed an adaptive drive cylce to "cover all the bases", which knowing what I know and driving one myself, would perform for any of our customers that expressed concern with the way the Raptor shifts.

I will also state that the adaptive learning never really stops, hence the term "adaptive". I recenty traveled to Denver where I had to pull a 6% grade pulling a camp trailer. After reaching Denver and returning to in town driving, the shifts were a tad firmer and the 2-1 "bump" was present when coming to a stop. Likely due to the heightened line pressures that the trans had to use during the shifting usage while pulling the pass. Few days later, the "feel" of the trans is "back to normal".

Hope that answers your question.

FSM

P.S. One thing I might add that hopefully will help. The 6R80 transmission has no bands or OWC's (one way clutches) so timing is very critical when one clutch is released and another applied. This is why Ford states that some of the shift "feel" that everyone is concerned about is "inherenent to the synchronous nature of the 2-1 shift" to quote FoMoCo. As hard as some of it's shift nature is to get used to, it has certainly been a stud of a transmission in that I have heard of hardly any hard failures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IRONMAN

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Thanks FSM for the quick response to my question.
Truly I'm no mechanic so at times it might be hard for me to understand everything and I'm truly appreciative of all your knowledge.
So basically my trans sounds normal. Also its nice to know that the trans doesn't learn one way of driving and that's it. Glad to have you here on this site.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
yes, my dealer performed the TSB work, reset the adaptive tables and said it would take care of both issues.

_Rudy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some serching on here and ran across this thread. I took my 2010 6.2L to the dealer to have this same issue addressed, and they stated that there is a service bulletin on some valve going bad in the transmission, and replaced it. They're not holding my truck saying that its still not shifting correctly and may be a faulty replacement part. Any of this make sense? I dont like having to leave the truck there; especially as its my only ride.