GEN 1 Truck very unstable on one-sided pot holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingRoman

Reaction score
OK I am not sure if there is something wrong with my truck, but I was traveling down this smooth dirt road and there were a few holes only on the left side maybe 1/2' to 1' deep, not straight drop offs, they were in and out gradually of dirt.

Anyway, going down about 50 mph and hitting these, the truck hit so hard and literally lifted the other side of the trucks tires off the ground....felt so unstable and unsafe. Why isn't it smooth?

The whole truck felt like it was hovering for a second because of how hard it took these holes.

Is this ALL because of the front sway bar?....

OP
OP
K

KingRoman

Reaction score
Sounds like worn out shocks. This was happening on mine and new shocks fixed it.

How many miles do you have?

Oh jeez I hope not....24,000 miles on it...bought it with 17,000 earlier this year and it was the same then, previous 1st owner never took it off road, and all I have done was some dirt roads.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh jeez I hope not....24,000 miles on it...bought it with 17,000 earlier this year and it was the same then, previous 1st owner never took it off road, and all I have done was some dirt roads.

Yeah, that's pretty low miles to have the same problem.

Still, that sounds like how mine was - though I was over 50K miles at the time. Also, mine was only on the passenger side.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you look through the Fox Shocks website 25,000 is reason to rebuild.
I'm at 25,000 and I'm not happy with the stock OEM shocks either anymore.
After this winter I'll be doing new shocks, mine are looking a little shabby anyway.
Just have to make a decision which way to go, stock or 3.0's

GPD

Reaction score
Hate to hijack, but what you've posted describes the reason I created an account to post.

On small pot holes, or just simple deformations in the road at low speeds (40 mph and below), the truck acts like it wants to steer 90 degrees, right off the road. This is on asphalt, btw.

The interstate....it's a death trap. Have to seriously "drive" the truck. Take your eyes off the road for a second, even to adjust the A/C, and the truck will literally try to kill you. Hit a bump on the interstate while cornering? Prepare to change your pants.

2014 Raptor, with 50k miles. Shock condition unknown. Recently bought it.

OP, what did you end up doing, and did it fix it? Any and all other help appreciated.

My other truck is a 2016 Crew Cab GMC Duramax. You could fall asleep behind the wheel, wake up 30 minutes later, and never hit a rumble strip. Drives like a laser beam. But in the Raptor, I just can't get it to drive straight? It's like I'm "bouncing" off the lines, while going down the road. There's no way it was like this off the floor.

GPD

Reaction score
Bump steer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's bump steer too, but I wasn't sure. I've never owned a Raptor before, and I bought this one used. I've only driven 1-ton trucks for the last 10+ years, and in comparison, the Raptor feels like I'm driving a UTV. To elaborate, the suspension feels soft, and "rolly", but hitting even small bumps, or potholes, is very stiff. Hard to describe, really.

The way a dually rear suspension feels going over bumps, is how the Raptor feels on all four corners.

I've already sent in my info to the shock exchange, but I don't want to replace the shocks if this is "normal". I wish I had something to compare it to.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's completely normal.
My gen 1 did it stock, did it with fox 3.0 and deavers.
My gen2 is actually worse.

The shocks weren't design for those hard hits, more large "floaty" hits

GPD

Reaction score
It's completely normal.
My gen 1 did it stock, did it with fox 3.0 and deavers.
My gen2 is actually worse.

The shocks weren't design for those hard hits, more large "floaty" hits

Well, damn. This truck really feels like it's trying to kill me on the interstate.

The shocks do their job fine as far as dampening goes.

Let me ask you this: If you're driving down the road, and you take your hands off the wheel for five seconds, would you expect to be in the ditch, or still on the road, in the Raptor? Do your pickups seem "safe" and "stable", or do they feel like they are literally designed to take your life?

Sad thing is, I bought this truck for my wife. She loves it. I can't stand driving it.

Thanks for your replies so far, btw.