Truck started making a nasty sound..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was driving about 50mph on a paved road, and it started sounding like I was driving on rumble strips on the shoulder.. I shifted into 4HI and it immediately went away. when I shifted back to 2wd, it came and went.. thoughts?

Tango_9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, same noise, pulled off the road to see what the hell I was dragging, put it into 4H then back to 2H sound went away, it was the left IWE, replaced that one twice, right side still is original.

OP
OP
downforce137

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mines a 2012 with 82K

Im guessing its the IWE on the right front. It was squealing on and off recently. I drove it all over last night and the noise didnt come back again after driving about 4 miles in 4hi.

its just the noise was such a deep vibrational noise I thought the wheel bearing was gone or something but went away within seconds of turning the knob to 4hi

Tango_9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012, 76 k here, I would rather have locking hubs, rarely malfunctions and easy to repair.

drj.raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did the same thing after hitting a bump, pulled over to look under my truck thought i broke somthing. couldnt see anuthing broke started to drive same noise pulled over again turned my truck off looked around couldnt see anything wrong. after i turn the truck back on it hasnt come back yet. happend at 28k miles

OP
OP
downforce137

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
one of my wheel bearings failed where the CV axle end rides and tore up the bearings running surface on the axle. I'd sure like to put a new end on my CV axle, rather than replacing the whole shaft.

It was pretty full of dirt and mud inside the hub/iwe area, and I feel this could have easily been prevented by maintenance. Started making a noise like I was driving on rumble strips the other day, and I assumed the IWE failed. Got it apart last night and the small bearing inside the wheel hub had come apart, needle bearings everywhere and galled up the axle shaft. I ordered a new wheel hub, and I'll get the numbers off the inner bearings before I put it back together.

drj.raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines been doing it again latley. Just dropped it off at the dealer let's see what they say.