transmission/transfer case interface leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_Rudy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naturally, my truck waits until the day after I have shoulder surgery to give me trouble. My girlfriend tells me there a puddle of oil under my truck. The truck had sat for the better part of a week and ended up leaking a couple ounces of oil. After driving the truck, the leak stopped for a couple days. I look again today and a small amount is back.

I found the leak coming from the bottom right fastener between the transfer case and transmission. The fastener has 20Nm stamped on it so I was going to check the torque but turns out I dont have that socket.

Do you guys think there is any chance of success with an overtorque? If not, where would the leak be originating from? I saw posts on other forums where the xfer case is sealed, which leads me to believe the oil would be coming from the transmission. Reading up on them, they sound like something best left to the dealership.

Thoughts? The truck is a 2010 Scab 6.2l with ~75k on it.

The first attached photo is from the bottom looking up, transmission to the right, xfer case to the left. Top fastener (passenger side) has the leak. Second photo is looking towards the front of the truck, fastener is just past the mount.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2624.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
R

_Rudy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah! sure enough. I had read about this issue briefly but didnt look high enough on the transmission to see that yes, that connector is just above my bolt... gah... guess I'll call the dealer.

Thanks for the quick response!

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ah! sure enough. I had read about this issue briefly but didnt look high enough on the transmission to see that yes, that connector is just above my bolt... gah... guess I'll call the dealer.

Thanks for the quick response!

Come back and tell us how things go at the dealer, _Rudy_. I'll hang around here to see if you need my help.

Crystal

OP
OP
R

_Rudy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come back and tell us how things go at the dealer, _Rudy_. I'll hang around here to see if you need my help.

Crystal

Thanks! I actually had spoken to a friend who runs an independent service station about this before I discovered the actual issue. He was wanting to look at it so I was planning on taking it to him. He is aware of the particulars of servicing these transmissions so I feel pretty comfortable with them being able to successfully repair it, given the rather straightforward procedure. Is there anything I'm missing as to why I'd be better off (again, for this minor issue) taking it to a dealer?

Thanks

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! I actually had spoken to a friend who runs an independent service station about this before I discovered the actual issue. He was wanting to look at it so I was planning on taking it to him. He is aware of the particulars of servicing these transmissions so I feel pretty comfortable with them being able to successfully repair it, given the rather straightforward procedure. Is there anything I'm missing as to why I'd be better off (again, for this minor issue) taking it to a dealer?

Thanks

Yes if it is the bulk head connector tsb you get it done for free if you are still in powertrain coverage or ESP.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought a tsb is covered whether or not you are still under warranty? Makes no sense that a defective part becomes your problem after your warranty expires. A defective part is a defective part and a TSB admits to this.